Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

is not recognized as an internal or external command

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 41 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Jun-2010, 11:44 AM #1
Question is not recognized as an internal or external command
I just reformatted my computer...it's perfectly clean and fully updated. There is only one user on this computer and it's mine and it's administrator.

I opened up command prompt attempting to use it but no matter what command I enter it says "is not recognized and as internal or external command" I've tried running command prompt as an administrator...same message. Tried safe mode...same message. Someone said something to me about enviroment varaibles...there was nothing wrong with them...same message...

I remember in the past I had this same problem and fixed it somehow but I don't remember how. I've searched all over google and cannot find anything that will help me. Does anyone know how to fix this?

I have Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit service pack 2
Model: HP Pavillion m9200t
Any other information needed let me know.

Summer
Computer Specs
Member with 2,233 posts.

Experience: Enough To Know Better
05-Jun-2010, 04:02 PM #2
This may be the resolution you spoke of....

Go to Computer-> right click-> Properties->Advanced->Environment
Variables->System variables and locate “PATH”. Add C:\windows\system32 at the
end if it is not already there.
Computer Specs
Member with 41 posts.

06-Jun-2010, 02:53 PM #3
The C:\windows\system32 is at the beginning instead of the end...is that the problem? Does it need to be at the end? Would it be messed up if I had it in the beginning AND the end?

Since it's already in there and I'm still getting the error message is this the problem? Could it be something else? Also if I type "cd" (without quotes) infront of the command line...it works! I have been using that temporarly but feel I shouldn't have too...and wish it was fixed...

Thanks for responding hope to get this fixed.

Summer
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

08-Jun-2010, 09:22 AM #4
What are the exact commands you are typing that are giving you the error?
Better yet:
Open a Command Prompt
Type a couple of the commands you've been trying.
Right click in the window, click Select All.
This will highlight everything.
Press Enter, this copies it to the clipboard.
Comeback to this thread, click in the Reply window, press CTRL+V to paste the text.

It could be something as simple as as a misplaced quote or space.
Computer Specs
Member with 41 posts.

09-Jun-2010, 02:43 PM #5
I'm trying anything and everything

Even doing something as simple as C:\ Gives the error. Will paste what is going on in my command prompt when I get back on the main computer that is doing it.
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

09-Jun-2010, 08:17 PM #6
C:\ will give an error as it's not a command. Try just C:
CD\ and DIR are two other internal commands that don't rely on the path being set correctly, those should work. Try those if you haven't already.
If they also give an error, you might not be opening the real cmd.exe, but a fake one designed just to display an error.

If you are opening the prompt by typing cmd into the Run box, try typing %COMSPEC% or %systemroot%\system32\cmd.exe instead, see if it makes a difference.
Computer Specs
Member with 41 posts.

11-Jun-2010, 10:48 PM #7
still no go.
I've tried going to msconfig and tools and ran the cmd from there. I've tried writing in code like %userprofile%\appdata\local\ and still same error message.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!