Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Explorer.exe not responding

(!)

Junior Member with 8 posts.

12-Jun-2010, 10:20 AM #1
Solved: Explorer.exe not responding
I'm running Vista Home premium. I was playing around with some icon files and ran a batch process to extract .png images from .ico files (about 200 of them!). Like an idiot I set the output directory as my desktop by mistake which led to the desktop to freeze for an age although everything else was functioning.

I have rebooted numerous times and checked my msconfig file for any discrepancies but now every time I restart there is a black desktop with no icons, the task bar loads but on right or left clicking it I get the dialogue " The application is not responding. The program may respond again if you wait." When I click "end process" it stops explorer but it does not restart (I can get it back from Task manager\ New Task), clicking "cancel" just removes the dialogue box.

I have gone into the desktop folder and removed the 3000 .png files that were in there but that did not help. Any ideas please?
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 2,664 posts.

Experience: The Matrix
12-Jun-2010, 12:35 PM #2
http://smallvoid.com/article/windows-icon-cache.html

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/11...e-rebuild.html

may need to set up another account and use that one trasnsfering your files so that the old account is not hidden
Junior Member with 8 posts.

13-Jun-2010, 06:28 AM #3
Thanks for the response. I will keep those links handy as they do seem useful. I got impatient and did a system restore that luckily was only from a couple days ago and all is well again.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!