Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Unmountable Boot Volume

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

13-Jun-2010, 06:51 AM #1
Unmountable Boot Volume
Hi there,

A few days back, I attempted to boot up my computer, and rather than seeing the usual Vista welcome screen, I had a choice of starting Windows normally or running a repair. I turned off automatic restart upon error, as I suspected the BSOD. I ran windows normally, and as I thought I got the BSOD, with the error...

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

This is also accompanied by a ticking sound coming from my hard drive (Which I know is not good)

The first thing I did was to try to run the computer in all versions of safe mode, and this does not work. I then tried to run the computer with the last known good configuration, and again this does not work.

I headed to Google, and read about using the "chkdsk /r" command in the command prompt having booted with a CD (This advice was for a Windows XP operating system). I don't have the original Vista discs, so I downloaded a recovery disk .ISO and burned it to a DVD. I managed to boot from this disc, and get to the recovery console.

My first problem was that the computer couldn't find my operating system, and prompted me to "Load Drivers". I ignored this, and then got onto the screen that shows the various recovery options, such as boot repair. I attempted boot repair, and this did nothing. I then used the "chkdsk /r c:" command. The process took a while, and it found some errors in the first stage. It identified some sections that "could not be read"

The chkdsk process continued, and got to the stage where it said it was "repairing" the errors, however, the process then ended, and I was again able to use the command lines in the box. The chkdsk never actually finished, just ended at this stage.

I'm assuming my HDD is completely dead, but is there any advice that ANYBODY can offer, to perhaps help?

Many regards,
Zac.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,446 posts.

13-Jun-2010, 09:04 AM #2
The hard drive manufacturer may have diagnostics that can better diagnose or fix the drive.
Member with 89 posts.

Experience: Advanced
13-Jun-2010, 10:34 AM #3
If the drive is making unusual noises and you want that data then stop messing around with chkdsk and try to clone the drive ASAP.

If you're not worried about the data use Seatools or other similar bootable manufacturer's test and see if the drive is shot. if it's not then I think it's reinstall OS time.
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

13-Jun-2010, 11:03 AM #4
You cannot run checkdisk from an XP boot cd in Vista because you are missing the sata drivers as you found out though you could use the Ultimate Boot cd to do so.
http://www.ubcd4win.com/
You could also attach an external hard drive or flash drive and copy any files missing using the UBCD and then simply replace the drive and reinstall Windows.
Junior Member with 3 posts.

13-Jun-2010, 12:12 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
You cannot run checkdisk from an XP boot cd in Vista because you are missing the sata drivers as you found out though you could use the Ultimate Boot cd to do so.
http://www.ubcd4win.com/
You could also attach an external hard drive or flash drive and copy any files missing using the UBCD and then simply replace the drive and reinstall Windows.

Sorry. my fault, it was a Vista boot CD I downloaded.

As for others, important files are already backed up. I just wondered what should be my next step.

Thanks,
Zac.
Member with 89 posts.

13-Jun-2010, 12:15 PM #6
Test the disk.

You can downlaod Ultimate Boot CD (not the Windows one). It has a load of disk testing apps on it including Seatools.
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

13-Jun-2010, 12:42 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NozzaC View Post
Test the disk.

You can downlaod Ultimate Boot CD (not the Windows one). It has a load of disk testing apps on it including Seatools.
Agreed though I wouold run chkdsk /r first!!!!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
hard disc, unmountable boot volume, vista

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!