Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: shrink display on my inspiron 6400

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 20 posts.

Experience: Beginner
04-Jul-2010, 02:46 AM #1
Solved: shrink display on my inspiron 6400
I am not computer literate, so forgive me if this quiestion is lame. I enlarged my display, now I cannot shrink it. I have tried many things. My neighbor, who knows more than I do, tried to shrink it, and failed.
The problem is when I go to "personize" or control panel to pull up the settings, I cannot get to the"apply and'/or ok" buttons. Is there any shortcuts that will shrink this. I am desperate, for I am an online college student and cannot complete my assignments like this.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 10,968 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Jul-2010, 11:18 AM #2
After you have made the display setting changes then you need to do the following.

If you can see the upper left corner of the pane, there is a small icon to the left of Display Settings, click it and select move. Now with the arrow keys move the pane up and to the left until you can see the OK buttons
Computer Specs

05-Jul-2010, 03:35 AM #3
Cannot click on apply or ok it jumps back to the top
Okay, I have tried this over and over again. Everytime I go to click on the apply and/or ok the screen instantly takes me back to the top. Maybe I am missing something but it still will not let me click on these options????????????? Is there any other way?
Computer Specs

05-Jul-2010, 12:17 PM #4
Are you getting down to where you can change the Display Settings and make the required change and then selecting apply or OK?

You MUST make a change and then apply and you then should see a sample of what it will look like and then continue from there.
Computer Specs

05-Jul-2010, 01:48 PM #5
Please, is their any other way?
Yes sir, I have, as I stated earlier, I can scroll down to these buttons. When I go to click on anything, the mouse JUMPS right back to the top of the page, making it impossible to apply anything. I cannot click on the buttons.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,242 posts.

05-Jul-2010, 01:58 PM #6
After you hit Enter to select the resolution you can hit the Tab key to move the focus. In Windows 7 hitting Tab 6 times moves the focus to Apply, and you can then just hit Enter (you don't have to be able to see the button). I think it's a little different in Vista, and it is not convenient for me to check that now, but maybe somebody who is on Vista can check the number of Tabs that are needed to get to the Apply.
Computer Specs

05-Jul-2010, 02:26 PM #7
I need help.
Well I also needed to go into advanced settings, which is right above the apply and ok.
Please somebody, there has to be a way, I thought there was a shortcut, or a key sequence that would minimize the itmes on the display, actuallly, the whole display itself.
Member with 309 posts.

05-Jul-2010, 02:35 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebbs37 View Post
I cannot click on the buttons.
As Terry has said, you can use the Tab key to move from one item to another. In this pic the middle button has focus, the gray dotted line indicates focus. If you can see the button, just keep pressing tab until you give focus to the button or thing you need, then press Enter.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: shrink display on my inspiron 6400-button.jpg  
Computer Specs

05-Jul-2010, 02:41 PM #9
The trouble is that bebbs37 cannot see the needed buttons because they are hidden "below" the viewable screen. We need to pretend blindness and specify the exact key strokes in Vista to get from the entry of the Personalize window to a successful change to a higher screen resolution.
Computer Specs

05-Jul-2010, 04:56 PM #10
I have tried it on my Vista laptop and the process that I sated above works. One MUST select a resolution high enough to reduce a pane size. then it will work.

You need to change the resolution (try 1280 x 800) and then get to the Advance area later
Member with 309 posts.

05-Jul-2010, 05:49 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post
The trouble is that bebbs37 cannot see the needed buttons
Terry,

Not my reading on it, from an earlier bebbs37 post...

"Everytime I go to click on the apply and/or ok the screen instantly takes me back"

That tells me bebbs37 can see the buttons but the mouse wont click on them. It sounds more like an issue with her mouse that needs to be addressed as well. I have a wireless mouse and when the batteries are getting low it does that.

Dave
Computer Specs

05-Jul-2010, 05:51 PM #12
Could be multiple problems, which would explain why DaveA's solution is not working.
Member with 309 posts.

05-Jul-2010, 07:31 PM #13
Terry,

It can be frustrating when people don't do exactly as suggested to them. I made the pic in case bebbs37 didn't know what was meant by "focus" but I suspect that has not been tried yet. <sigh> Maybe it has been tried and worked and it is fixed and thus, no need to come back and say "thanks."

Here's a 9th-post-classic from the other day...
http://forums.techguy.org/7473326-post9.html

At least had the ca-hones to comment.

Dave
Computer Specs

06-Jul-2010, 12:48 AM #14
Thank you all for all your wisdom, and tips. I will go attempt all of your suggestions, including checking the mouse settings. Again thank you all. I will get back to you all in a minute.
Computer Specs

07-Jul-2010, 12:46 AM #15
My mouse settings are set this way, but I cannot change them either because of the size of the display. Any other suggestions? Please..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!