Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows recovered from an unexpected shutdown

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Beginner
24-Jul-2010, 11:22 PM #1
Windows recovered from an unexpected shutdown
Everytime I leave my 3 yr old PC (Vista pre-installed Home Edition) long enough for it to go into sleep mode, I return and get a message that Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown. Below is the error code message:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 9f
BCP1: 00000003
BCP2: 84B79030
BCP3: 867D5030
BCP4: 84DC2940
OS Version: 6_0_6002
Service Pack: 2_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini072310-04.dmp
C:\Users\Linda\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-60715-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\Linda\AppData\Local\Temp\WERC33E.tmp.version.txt

Before this all started happening, I uninstalled a free version of Avast and installed Defender Pro 2010 15 in 1 and ran all the scans. I was having some weird stuff happen in Yahoo e-mail and thought that maybe the free antivirus program wasn't catching a virus. I donít know if that was just coincidental or had something to do with the install of the new software. I also did a couple of Windows updates that I was prompted to do. I started having issues with Internet Explorer shutting down at first.

I did a system restore to a point prior to what I thought were the Windows Updates, but now am left with the Windows shutting down error and am at a loss for how to correct it.

I ran my HPís diagnostics tools and scanned the system hardware and motherboard and all tests were passed.

I am also now getting an error message in Word 2003 upon opening it:

ZnWordAddIn...Component 'comctl32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.

My brother thinks that getting Window 7 will solve all, but I want to know for sure if thatís the case before I spend the money.

I'm not too tech saavy...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,621 posts.

25-Jul-2010, 04:13 AM #2
I have never heard of Defender Pro. There a lots of fake antivirus programs floating around, and they do absolutely nothing to remove infections. Before buying an antivirus program, check reviews by reputable magazine sites like pcmag.com. Also take a look at http://www.av-comparatives.org/ which run antivirus tests.

Last edited by lunarlander; 25-Jul-2010 at 04:19 AM..
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Beginner
25-Jul-2010, 05:27 PM #3
Defender Pro was a free with rebate and tax software purchase from one of the office supply stores earlier this year. Their packaging indicates it was the Editor's choice in CNet and got a 4 cow ranking from Tucows, PC Advisor Gold, 5 stars from PC World, etc...

However, perhaps it just isn't working well with my system or it's that darn Vista. I do like that it is a 15-in-1 program with all sorts of built in protection and has a 2 yr subscription. I did use an uninstall utility to remove remnants of Norton and Avast, so I do not have any other antivirus systems running. I do have Windows Firewall on.

Sigh...I hate to do yet another system restore to remove Defender Pro and with no guarantee that it will fix the problem. However, it didn't seem to start until I installed it, though I did do some Windows updates too. However, the Windows updates don't even show up in my recent updates log and even though I did a previous system restore, you would think I would be prompted for those new available updates. ??

Last edited by lkmiscnet; 25-Jul-2010 at 05:33 PM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!