Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Problem with system restore

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Aug-2010, 10:20 PM #1
Unhappy Problem with system restore
Ok, im trying to do a system restore on my HP Pavillion DV6000 laptop with Windows Vista.
I did a full format on the hard drive, removing the recovery partition, AFTER I made the recovery DVD. I then ran the recovery disk and it booted as it should.
This is where the problems began... While the disk was “formatting the hard drive” it got to 86% and said “error 1005: please contact HP if this problem persists”. I thought nothing of this and restarted the laptop, at the exact same point this happened. I then tried running a Vista install disk to do a fresh install and see what was happening, however the laptop decided its no longer going to read from DVDs (have tested with multiple bootable DVDs), but CDs still work.
I then booted a Windows XP install disk and noticed that the partitions go:
unpartitioned 8mb
unpartitioned 102gb
C: Recovery Partition
I then let the computer boot without a CD and the recovery software started, and it got to 100% completion and I clicked finish. However, its now decided Windows is on D: and continually boots to the recovery partition.
As I mentioned earlier I cannot access the Windows Vista recovery system as the DVD drive doesn’t work. And there is a known problem with the DV6000 bios that stops me using my USB DVD Drive to boot (the option is there, but it wont boot from anything that is USB).
EDIT: Ok i have found a cd size vista recovery disk after a bit of searching so i can access the Repair features. But am still no closer to fixing it
Please help iv wracked my brains for 4 hours and searched on google a further 2.
Thanks

Last edited by craigbrown2k3; 05-Aug-2010 at 10:38 PM..
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 2,664 posts.

Experience: The Matrix
06-Aug-2010, 02:48 AM #2
tricky had this myself, if installed on wrong "drive" by mistake then you going to have to do it again but checking as it goes along to install on C
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

suggest wait for another poster as sure i had to delete all other partitions so had the one only then that forces an installation to c drive not C recovery
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
drive letter, no dvd drive, recovery, vista

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!