Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

USB Printer Port Problem with Windows Vista 64 bit

(!)

Junior Member with 9 posts.

15-Aug-2010, 12:52 PM #1
USB Printer Port Problem with Windows Vista 64 bit
There is no USB port showing up under printer properties ports...therefore, my printer will not print.

Last edited by kel_13; 15-Aug-2010 at 01:27 PM..
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,255 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Aug-2010, 03:59 PM #2
Do you have 64 bit drivers installed for this printer?

Make and model of printer would help?
Computer Specs
Member with 700 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Aug-2010, 04:11 PM #3
I noticed that when I shut off file sharing in Network and Sharing Center I cannot print. Just a thought.

15-Aug-2010, 06:04 PM #4
I have an Epson Stylus NX 420 All-in-one printer. Yes, I have tried everything. I downloaded the 64 bit driver on epson's website, installed the software that came with the printer, etc. The printer is recognized by the computer and the USB cord works. However, when you go to printers-properties-ports, there is no USB port option. I cannot get it to work manually either. I have installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled the printer multiple times. The copier and scanner both work but I cannot get the printer to print from the computer, probably because no USB port is showing up.
Computer Specs
Member with 22,220 posts.

15-Aug-2010, 07:14 PM #5
Have you checked the bios to be certain usb ports haven't been disabled perhaps by accident?

15-Aug-2010, 07:44 PM #6
Yes, I have checked the bios and nothing is disabled. This is the error that poped up while installing, "
Windows encountered a problem while installing device drivers for your USB2.0 Printer." However, the computer recognizes the printer and sees the drivers but it cannot seem to find the right driver; the usb printer port. There is no option for a USB port under printer properties, so I'm thinking that all of this might be due to a software problem with Vista? But I'm not sure.
Member with 309 posts.

15-Aug-2010, 07:49 PM #7
First suggestion:
When you install the printer, check the "Use an Existing Port" drop down box and look for "USB Virtual printer port" and select that.

Second suggestion:
Often with USB stuff, if you plug the printer in **before** installing the software, windows will assign a generic type driver. You will need to remove that driver from the Device Drivers list (Control Panel - Adminstrative Tools) . Install the printer software and then plug the Printer in to the USB. Then the correct driver will be assigned. Try the first suggestion first though.

Dave

15-Aug-2010, 07:57 PM #8
Ok, I will check that. First, I just have one question. This printer can also be set up wirelessly. I have yet to try to set it up wirelessly. Would I run into the same problems with wireless as I am with usb or does the wireless not need anything with a usb port? I don't know if thats a stupid question or not but I don't know a lot about printers and ports etc so I figured I would ask. Thanks.
Member with 309 posts.

15-Aug-2010, 08:50 PM #9
No stupid questions Kel. Only the ones you don't ask.

I have not yet been able to get a wifi connected printer work fast enough and correctly so if it has a USB option I always go for that. There seems to be a huge lag negotiating with the printer via wifi.

Having said that, you might not run into any problems setting it up for wifi. Providing your modem/router has available IP addresses for it. Some hi-speed modems only allow 4 internally defined IPs. If you have computers on the RJ 45 connectors then that may cause some problems too.

I assume you got a CD with the printer and it has some form of console where you can define what connection you want to use. Personally I would be unplugging the printer both power (to stop the wifi) and USB. Go to the Control Panel and Printers and Add a new printer. Check the Port as I mentioned before and when that's done, reboot then plug in the printer and see if it loads the correct drivers.

Dave

15-Aug-2010, 09:55 PM #10
Ok, so I called a number that specifically has tech people help you set up the printer because I wanted to make sure that everything was done correctly. They ran into the same problem. They installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled the drivers, printer software, etc and each time it said windows could not find the correct driver...it can't find the right driver well because there is no option for a usb port of any type on the Vista that is on my computer. The tech told me to contact the computer manufacturer. I did, and the manufacturer told me that since I can run other devices such as a flash drive and ipod in the usb then it is Microsoft's problem, not theirs. However, since Vista came loaded on the computer when I bought it, it is the manufacturers problem. They then told me to call Epson. I haven't been able to do that because they don't work on Sundays, but I did write them an email. I have no clue what the problem is, but I'm still suspecting that is most likely some glitch in software compatibility between Microsoft Vista 64 bit and the printer, eventhough the printer is compatible with Vista 64 bit.
Computer Specs

15-Aug-2010, 09:56 PM #11
You are doing better than me. I have yet to get a wireless printer to work at all on the few I have tried. But actually that might be a soultion but what if there is a hardware issue with the printer such as maybe there is something wrong with the usb port? Who would want to live with running it wirelessly through the life of the printer anyway. I would be trying it on another pc by now to make sure it even works.

15-Aug-2010, 10:15 PM #12
I haven't yet tried it on another computer, I will probably do that tomorrow morning. However, as i said the printer is an all in one device and I have been able to get the copier to work, which I'm assuming doesnt have anything to do with the USB port. I have also been able to put my camera memory card into the printer and print pictures. Lastly, I have been able to put a picture in the printer (well actually scanner) and scan it onto my computer and save it as a file. I'm not sure, but I'm assuming that since I could scan then it isn't a problem with the actual printer or computer but a problem with the Vista software. Any thoughts/insights? Thanks.
Computer Specs

15-Aug-2010, 10:36 PM #13
I fail to see how it could be a Vista problem unless you have used reg cleaners and the whole pc is a mess.

15-Aug-2010, 10:51 PM #14
At this point, I have no clue what the problem could be. Hopefully Epson will be able to find a solution tomorrow, like maybe they have a way to get around this problem with the 64 bit version or something. I don't know. But thanks for your advice.

15-Aug-2010, 10:58 PM #15
I just thought of another question that I hope someone can possibly answer. Lets say when I do try to install the printer on another computer with Vista 64 bit, and the printer installs totally fine and works on that computer. However, my computer and usb port etc are still not working correctly. Does anyone have any idea on what exactly would be the problem with my computer in that situation? Thanks
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
64 bit, epson, printer, usb problem, vista

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!