Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows Update: Error Code 13EC

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 201 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-Aug-2010, 12:10 PM #1
Exclamation Windows Update: Error Code 13EC
Hey all!

I have come to a dead end with an update for Windows Vista. I am posting this thread in hope to solve the problem with your help.

Genuine: Yes
Windows Update: Installed
Microsoft Update: Installed
Update setting: Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them
Windows Update error code: 13EC

Now, here's the situation. As a result from my Windows Update settings I got an alert from Windows today telling me that there is an important update available that I could download and install on my computer. It was the Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile for Windows Vista x64-based computers.

I decided to get it. So I check marked it in Windows Update, clicked OK, and then hit the "Download updates" button and it started to download. (It may have said "Install updates" on that button, don't remember.) I waited for it to download which only took like 1 minute, and then, when it was supposed to start installing I hit the Power Off button from the Start menu, knowing that once an update is downloaded I can safely hit the Power Off button because the computer would be powered off first after the update was installed. I was right, because the shield appeared over the Power Off button on the Start menu and once I hit that button the installation status appeared on my screen. That's the way Windows Update works on Windows Vista and that's cool because I was in a hurry and had to leave the computer at home and walk out.

When I came back home the computer was off so I powered it on, but get this: the update was still not installed. I got the alert from Windows telling me that an update is available for my computer, and it was the very same update as I described above. I tried to install it and this time I had time to wait for it to install before powering the computer off again. Only to get an error with the code 13EC.

Where do I go from here?

Has anyone here had this problem?

Are there any known issues with this particular update?

How do you solve this problem?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Windows Update: Error Code 13EC-2010-08-25-windows-update   Windows Update: Error Code 13EC-2010-08-25-windows-update   Windows Update: Error Code 13EC-2010-08-25-windows-update   Windows Update: Error Code 13EC-2010-08-25-windows-update   Windows Update: Error Code 13EC-2010-08-25-windows-update  

Last edited by Fractalogic; 25-Aug-2010 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: Grammatical correction
Junior Member with 1 posts.

31-Aug-2010, 12:33 PM #2
Windows style solution (?)
Had the same problem. Out of sheer deperation, I uninstalles all .Net 4 componenet (That is, .net framework client AND .net framework 4 extend)
After that installaiton of client worked! Now, I do not have the extended part, but no program complains about it, so maybe itīs OK

Regards
Computer Specs
Member with 201 posts.

01-Sep-2010, 11:00 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoZara View Post
Had the same problem. Out of sheer deperation, I uninstalles all .Net 4 componenet (That is, .net framework client AND .net framework 4 extend)
After that installaiton of client worked! Now, I do not have the extended part, but no program complains about it, so maybe itīs OK

Regards
I'm afraid you don't understand my problem or you're bad at explaining what you mean. My problem is not that i cannot uninstall the .NET Framework 4 Client Profile, I cannot install it.

Exactly what .NET components do you want me to uninstall? Just tell me which ones I should uninstall and I will do it. Just don't ask me to uninstall anything .NET Framework 4 related because I have no such thing installed and that's exactly the one I need help to install. So it's quite the opposite of what you're telling me.
Computer Specs
Member with 201 posts.

01-Sep-2010, 12:02 PM #4
Hey I just solved this thing!

Don't ask me because I don't know how. I kind of "accidentally" solved it. So it probably "solved itself". Here's what I did.

1. I looked up Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile for Windows Vista x64-based computers on Google and I clicked on the first link in the search result which leads to the download page for this update on Microsoft Download Center. The reason being that I just wanted to make sure that there were no known issues installing this update.

2. Under Additional Information I clicked on the .NET Framework 4 Readme just to see if there was any mention of the error code I got while attempting to install this update, or any other information on troubleshooting installation problems with this update. I found no such information.

3. From the Control Panel I opened up the Programs and Features to check out what kind of .NET components were installed on my computer. I found Microsoft ASP .NET 2.0 AJAX Extensions 1.0 and Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

4. I decided to try to install the damn Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile again, so I opened up the Windows Update from the Control Panel. I just clicked on the link to view important updates, checked the Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile for Windows Vista x64-based computers option in the list and unchecked the Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.89.660.0) just to make sure I only installed the Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile so that they wouldn't conflict in any way.

5. I clicked the OK and then the Install Updates button and I started waiting. It said "installing updates..." but I have seen this movie before and it didn't work so I didn't expect much. But I realized that it was taking long time now so I kind of hoped it would work. The installation status bar jumped to 50% then and this is where it got interesting. Because it's after this part that it rejects the installation, but it didn't do that this time. It then jumped to 100% complete and the update was installed.

I shouted "Hallelujah!"

As you can see, I didn't perform any special task to make it install. I was just browsing the web and visited a Microsoft website. Is that what made it work this time but not before? I can comfortably say I did everything the same way I did the last four to five times when I attempted installing this rather rubbish Microsoft update. I had all the same applications and processes running on the computer, just like before. But it worked this time, but not before?! Only difference I can think of is that I had installed some of the definition updates for Windows Defender between the time I first encountered this problem with Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile and the time I managed to install it today.

Perhaps Microsoft saw this thread and released an update?... don't know, it all seems spooky and weird to me. Just as always with Microsoft and Windows, you're guaranteed to have some weird problems every now and then.

Now I got following installed.

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile Language Pack - SVE
Microsoft ASP .NET 2.0 AJAX Extensions 1.0

Note that none of the previous versions were uninstalled. They all co-exist now and that's normal. You would not need to uninstall any previous .NET components just to install new updates. Like I said, it's just Microsoft and Windows that mess things up you're guaranteed to have some weird problems every now and then, you're part of the development circle. Unfortunately, that's still the way of life with Microsoft and Windows even thou they have made huge improvements during past five years, I give them that.

The first screen shot below shows only what you get when you get the error code as described above and you click on the link right next to it to get more details and help to solve it - that's right, an empty Help page! The second and third screen shot show the actual installation progress when things do work out the way they were supposed to with Windows Update.
Attached Thumbnails
Windows Update: Error Code 13EC-2010-08-25-windows-update   Windows Update: Error Code 13EC-2010-09-01-windows-update   Windows Update: Error Code 13EC-2010-09-01-windows-update  

Last edited by Fractalogic; 01-Sep-2010 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: Added comment on the attachment files.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
.net framework 4, 13ec, client profile, windows update, x64

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!