Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Dell inspiron mini problems. Please help! :)

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

19-Oct-2010, 12:51 PM #1
Question Dell inspiron mini problems. Please help! :)
Hi,

My Dell inspiron mini that is only a few months old gave out on us a few nights ago. We turned it back on and it appeared to be restarting, the windows symbol came up and it was loading but then a blue screen pops up saying that the computer has been shut down. We have run all the tests, and can't find any problems. The mini laptop that we have does not have a cd drive in it I have tried putting the windows disk on to a USB and booting it through that but it won't work. Please help! Any suggestions?
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,923 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-Oct-2010, 10:24 PM #2
kelly:

What's the service tag number on the sticker?

Did that netbook come with Vista or XP?

What's the text of the blue screen warning that appears?

What's in the CD that you're trying to boot from?

----------------------------------------------------------------

That's one of the downsides of buying a netbook instead of a laptop. It doesn't have a built-in CD/DVD drive, so you're required to buy an external USB one.

21-Oct-2010, 11:17 AM #3
The service tag seems to be worn off of the sticker It is windows xp on the computer and that is the disk (transferred to usb) that I was trying to use. I have all the disks that come with the computer but not much use without the cd drive I guess. It looks like I may have to put it in the shop to get fixed

21-Oct-2010, 11:19 AM #4
and there are various blue screens that pop up. One of them is about a page long explaining that you should start in safe mode and that it could have been something recently installed on the comp that caused it to crash. The other one, another error screen, just says STOP and a bunch of letters and numbers and says the computer has been shut down.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

21-Oct-2010, 04:43 PM #5
kelly:

There are several models of the Dell Inspiron Mini listed at the Dell site:

Mini 9 (910)

Mini 10 (1010)

Mini 10 (1012)

Mini 10v (1011)

Mini 10v (1018)

Mini 12 (1210)

Which one do you have?

---------------------------------------------------------------

I asked you if you have XP or Vista in that netbook because you posted in the "Windows Vista" section, and most of the netbooks that I've seen come with Windows XP pre-installed.

---------------------------------------------------------------

21-Oct-2010, 05:03 PM #6
Hi

The netbook is a Inspiron mini 1012. I just realized that I posted under Vista, sorry, it is XP on the netbook.
Computer Specs

21-Oct-2010, 05:16 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyhickman View Post
Hi

The netbook is a Inspiron mini 1012. I just realized that I posted under Vista, sorry, it is XP on the netbook.
Here is the support site for the Dell Inspiron Mini 10 (1012) netbook. If you haven't already done so, I suggest that you add and save this site to your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can refer to it when needed.

Here is the section on restoring your netbook back to its original factory condition.

Here is the section with the service manual for your netbook.

21-Oct-2010, 08:48 PM #8
Hi

Thank you so much The only problem is that when I go into the F8 Menu, the option to repair the computer is gone, it isn't there.
Computer Specs

22-Oct-2010, 07:24 AM #9
Do you have both a USB external CD/DVD drive and an actual full version XP CD?

If you do, go into the BIOS screen and set the external drive first in the boot order, then insert the CD in the external drive, then save the changes and exit the BIOS.

If all goes well, the Press any key to boot from CD command will appear, then you'll be able to format the hard drive and do a fresh install of XP.

As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!