Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

After System Restore Vista Wants A Password

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 69 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Dec-2010, 05:08 PM #1
After System Restore Vista Wants A Password
I did a system restore which went way wrong. After it was done when I would boot the laptop it asked for a Admin password which I had no ideal What it was. So, I phoned Dell and they gave me the password to get to the Windows sign on Screen. Now Vista is asking for a password and again I have no clue because I never have used a password to log on.

I cannot get into BIOS. When I try to run in safe mode it still wants a password. I tried to use a boot cd to get into the system but it won't load the cd at bootup. I put the original Vista DVD in but it will not boot either. Can anyone tell me what to try next.

This is a dell 1545 laptop runing Vista SP 1.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Please don't take this post the wrong way. I am not asking how to recover the password. I know how to do that. I am asking why I cannot get the laptop to either boot from the original Vista DVD or from a Boot CD. I have never experienced this.

Last edited by BigJohnJ; 18-Dec-2010 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: Follow up
Computer Specs
Member with 51,993 posts.

18-Dec-2010, 05:16 PM #2
What do you mean by "went way wrong"? What happened during the process?

Was Vista installed when you bought the machine, or did you install it?

Have you tried a blank? Can you get into any accounts?
Computer Specs
Member with 69 posts.

18-Dec-2010, 05:21 PM #3
yes Vista was installed when I purchased it...I was going to sell it to a friend and was going to restore it back to factory settings but don't know what went wrong. Like I said had to call Dell to get the password to even let me get to the Windows screen but now I need to get into the /BIOS because it is asking for a password at Windows login. I never have used a password when logging on. I know how to disable login password but either need to be in safe mode or in the Bios to do so.
Computer Specs
Member with 69 posts.

18-Dec-2010, 05:39 PM #4
I have tried using the blank password still does not work.
When I boot the laptop I get this message. "Protected by Password Authentication System"

I re-enter the password that dell gave me but still cannot get into setup or get it to boot from a Linux Boot disk. I need to get into the BIOS and tell it to boot from CD first but just can't get it to BIOS.
Computer Specs
Member with 51,993 posts.

18-Dec-2010, 06:12 PM #5
Windows has nothing to do with entering BIOS. Presumably, the password you got from Dell is either for the BIOS or for the hard drive. Do you know which?

You cannot affect any Windows passwords by doing anything in BIOS.

I'd suggest that you do the recovery again. This time, make sure it is a complete recovery and that it is not an attempt to save what is already on the machine. You might even try a third-party partitioning tool to format the system partition before you try the recovery again. DO NOT remove partitions if you have a recovery partition on the drive, or make any changes to them, because that will replace the Dell MBR.

Parted Magic disk partitoning tool (Bootable CD image)
If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

This CD (or key) contains many useful tools. You can partition, recover files, recover lost partitions, make disk images (by several different methods), transfer files between media, scan for viruses (It can serve as an Alternative Trusted Platform for search and elimination of rootkits and bootkits), examine and benchmark hardware, access the internet, and much more.
Computer Specs
Member with 69 posts.

18-Dec-2010, 07:42 PM #6
I would love to be able to do all that. but I cannot get a disk to boot. When I turn the computer on it comes up with the screen that says, "Your computer system # 10X57C-597B is protected by password authentication system. You cannot access the data on this computer without the correct password. Please type in the system administrator password and press enter". I type in the password that I got from Dell and it goes to the Windows Vista Logon Screen where it is asking for a password. It will not let me enter setup or it will not boot from a disk. I would just Nuke and Pave it if I could but I am stuck here with no other options.

Thank you for your suggestions and help. I wish I could follow your directions but this thing beating me down. I have never seen one that won't go into setup or boot from a cd. I have thought about taking the HD out and putting it on another computer via usb and see if I can get into the register files but not sure what i would do if I got there that way.

Again thanks for your help.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 660 posts.

Experience: Theory of Relativity
18-Dec-2010, 09:24 PM #7
Usually you can press f11 or something to boot from another media. But if the manufacturer forgot to enable ish emulation in the BIOS you might not be able to press buttons during boot.
Computer Specs
Member with 69 posts.

18-Dec-2010, 09:43 PM #8
thanks gfne but I have tried F1, F8 and F12 but still get the page asking for Admin password.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!