Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer closes programs and shuts down randomly

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
26-Dec-2010, 07:23 PM #1
Exclamation Computer closes programs and shuts down randomly
I've begun to notice that sometimes, when I play games on my computer, the game will freeze and then the computer closes the program on its own. Then it will take me to a blackish/transparent screen listing other programs I may want to close and gives me the option to shut down the computer or cancel. A lot of the time it wont give me a chance to respond and just begins to shut the computer down.
The problem first occured when I started playing an online game called Mabinogi. However, it happned rarely and was never persistant.
For christmas I got two of the Sims 3 expansions and installed them today. I was able to run the game for about an hour, then the computer closed the program. I was saving the game to protect it, so I assumed that it had finished and just turned off. However, when I reloaded the game, nothing was saved meaning that the game terminated early. So, already annoyed, that an hours worth of work was gone, I redid that things I was doing before (This time it only took a half hour to do) then I began to play like normal again. But the game froze for a short time, then the game minimized itself, shut down and the transparent black screen came up for a second then the computer started to shut down.
I quickly googled "Computer keeps shutting off randomly" And it came up with two possiblities. one was the possibility of it overheating, but the tower doesnt feel hot to the touch or anything so I'm not sure if that's the problem. And the other was that the registry might be corrupted. So I just ran a free scan that the website suggested. Frontline Reg cleaner I think it's called. The scan said that it found 1110 errors and 3.34 GB junk files were found.
Could this be the problem? Should I trust the scan and just let it fix the errors it came up with or will that further destroy my other programs that have been working fine?
I don't understand what could be happening. It's very aggravating and all I'd like is for my computer to run programs for me and not freak out like it has been. Thank you.

Edit: I tried to just fix the errors on the Reg cleaner thing, but it told me I had to register or something so I don't trust it anymore. Now I have no idea what to do. D=

Last edited by Atomiclightbulb; 26-Dec-2010 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: Update
Computer Specs
Member with 598 posts.

27-Dec-2010, 12:21 AM #2
Personaly and like many others in this forum would: Stay away from Registry Cleaners, they can do more Harm than Good.
2 things about your Computer:
1) You have 1GB RAM and you should really think about upgrading to at least 2GB RAMS, I know I know, you had no problems before, but now the Games and other Applcations are becomming more and more a Resource hog and one needs as much RAM power as one computer can take, the more the merrier.
2)As #1 above, when you couple that with your Video card which is pretty much the same as mine , one model or 2 lower, is why having more RAMs to complement your Vid card would be usefull.

Best of luck and a Happy New Year
Ray
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
shut down, sims3, vista

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!