Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Need to fix bootloader for vista

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: able to follow directions
03-Mar-2011, 11:47 PM #1
Unhappy Solved: Need to fix bootloader for vista
okay, long story made short I need to get my Vista machine fired again so that I can save my kids' pictures including my Daughter's Make a Wish trip (she had leukemia) before we reformat the nightmare and start over. I've had to buy a bootable disk download that had repair options as my Vista disk did not have repair options included. I've tried the startup repair which failed multiple times and gives me the following in the log:
Root cause found:
Boot configuration corrupt
Repair action: partition table repair
Result: failed error code =0x490
So I have found some instructions to do the repair but I'm not real confident I understand what I need to do to actually get the correct result. I'm sorry guys, but I think I need some hand holding. As I understand the bootable doesn't contain the file I'll need, I'm not sure my Vista disk does. HELP!
Vista is the original operating system on this machine so I can't backup to XP or anything like that.
Help would be appreciated more than I can even explain.

Thanks in advance,
Flaxxie
Senior Member with 3,791 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Mar-2011, 02:54 AM #2
Hello and welcome to TSG Forums.

Most importantly, to take out the files you want in case this system is about to fall over completely, buy a cheap USB converter or dock to enable you to slave your hard disk to another machine. E-Bay will have them and they're well worth having - just make sure you get the right converter - either for a SATA disk or IDE (PATA).

While the disk is in there, run Checkdisk with both find and fix boxes ticked to see if that overcomes disk problems. As an alternative, you could download and burn to disk a LiveCD version of a Linux Operating System to allow access to retrieve the files but that won't allow the Checkdisk examination.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
bootloader, fix, repair, vista

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!