Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

chkdsk stuck in compacting security descriptor stream

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Apr-2011, 11:56 AM #1
Cool chkdsk stuck in compacting security descriptor stream
My daughter has a Compaq Presario running Vista, purchased May 2008 for college.
Last week, system advised she needed file system check. Ran through stage 1,2 no problem.
Stage 3; CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3). Stuck at this stage for 8 hours:
CHKDSK is compacting the security descriptor stream.

Should I try again, ask for tech support, take it to a repair shop or buy a new computer?
THANX
CATTRICK
I am using Acer Aspire 1, D250, to send this and try to solve issue.

Last edited by cattrick; 02-Apr-2011 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: wrong location for confused
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
02-Apr-2011, 12:08 PM #2
The hard drive may be bad. If not, the file system is too damaged to repair and it needs to be replaced. Either way, you have a problem.

How are you running it? Are you running it while Windows is running (because it can't fix things then)?
Computer Specs

02-Apr-2011, 01:02 PM #3
scandisk
E
The scandisk began when she started up the computer. I've tried it and it always 'recommends' you run disk check. Works thru 2 stages everytime and always gets stuck on stage 3 "chkdsk is compact the security descriptor stream.'
Should I try to start and bypass scan disk?
She has avg pctuneup 2011 that will defrag files, repair disks, etc. I AM sure she forgot to run pc tuneup for the past 5 months.
thankx
cattrick
Computer Specs

02-Apr-2011, 02:38 PM #4
Hopefully, PC Tuneup, if it is a program, will never be run. It contains a registry cleaner that will damage the system. No tools are needed for the system except what came with it. If the program made backups, restore them and get rid of it.

Do you have an Vista DVD to boot from? If you do, get a command prompt and run:

chkdsk C: /r

If not, and you can still get into the system, go to Start > Run, and type:

chkdsk /r

Agree to running on reboot by answering "Y" in the box that pops up and restart. Chkdsk /r will take quite a while since it does a much more complete test and repair of the file system. If you happen to see the end result, note whether any bad clusters were found.

(You should be able to press any key to skip chkdsk on startup.)

If chkdsk /r does not complete, save all the files that you need. It will be time to test the drive and replace the current partitions and file system, as well as Windows.
Computer Specs

02-Apr-2011, 05:11 PM #5
vista or xp
E
No Vista CD boot available. I have
XP home (2 versions) and XP Office. Can I install XP over Vista to get a working computer?
cattrick
Computer Specs

02-Apr-2011, 05:14 PM #6
Installation media in some form must accompany a machine when you buy it. You can try to reinstall from the recovery partition. Press F10 after power on. You may need to try it a few times to get the timing right. It should be right after the logo..

Be aware that everything will be gone and you will be back to the day it was bought (if it even works).

If the option appears, delete the partition that has Vista on it and create a new one.

If the installation fails, you probably need a new hard drive.

If the XP's are on other machines, they can't be used again without buying a new license.

Last edited by Elvandil; 02-Apr-2011 at 05:21 PM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!