Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows Vista Windows Vista
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Deleting files from temp folders, photoshop, etc.

(!)

Member with 15 posts.

03-Apr-2011, 12:45 PM #1
Question Deleting files from temp folders, photoshop, etc.
Hi, just a general question about deleting files from temp folders, I don't usually do that but there's a lot of obvious clutter than I could delete, which I'm not sure why is still there.

For example, in photoshop, anytime you edit something it'll be saved as a large .bmp file in the user / appdata / local / temp folder. I just noticed I've got 6 gigabytes of .bmp files in that folder alone, which seem to mostly be from photoshop if not all from photoshop.

I assume its safe to delete all of these?

Also, there's a file in there called WER3E59.tmp.hdmp which is over a gigabyte and hasn't been modified in a week, but of course I won't delete it, not sure what it is.

So yeah, cool to delete those .bmps? And is there any easy way to clean up temp folders in general? Thanks.

Also, just to mention it, I dare not mess with the Windows/Temp folder, but I notice there's 8 gigs of stuff in there, and a lot of it has not been modified in months. I wonder why thats there?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
03-Apr-2011, 12:57 PM #2
The safest way is Disk Cleanup (Star > Run > cleanmgr). It cleans out older files but saves the most recent that may still be needed. If you run it occasionally, it will get rid of all files that have not been accessed in a while and so are most likely not used by any application.

There are many "cleaning" programs, but I don't consider them safe. People are often coming here with problems that could be solved by backups that those things have deleted in the name of a couple megs of space.

People need to realize that life will be more pleasant overall if they just bite the bullet and buy more space and a bigger drive if things get cramped. Getting rid of "clutter" has absolutely no bearing on how well or how fast a machine runs. Files are accessed directly, by maps, and it makes no difference in the time it will take you to get to Poukeepsie if the neighboring towns are full or empty.

Last edited by Elvandil; 03-Apr-2011 at 01:03 PM..
Junior Member with 1 posts.

04-Apr-2011, 06:39 AM #3
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 19,332 posts.

04-Apr-2011, 07:24 AM #4
I've used the freeware CCleaner for years without a problem.
Just do NOT use the option to clean the registry.
Attached Thumbnails
Deleting files from temp folders, photoshop, etc.-clipboard.gif  
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!