Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows File protection Error - XP Professional

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

03-Jun-2011, 10:43 PM #1
Windows File protection Error - XP Professional
My computer has decided to start having the the Windows File Protection Error message: "Files that are required for windows to run properly have been replaced by unknown versions; Windows needs to restore these files to function properly." It's asking for Service pack 3 cd which I don't have.
The error gives you no options to investigate: clicking 'More Information" on the error gives you No information. Thanks Microsoft.
It does seem to slow my computer up a lot when it appears. It seems to appear at random times and in batches.

I've read older forum questions on this error. Is there anything new that will help me solve the problem?

I can't think of anything I installed, updated recently to cause this.

I read on eHow.com to try "regsvr32 initpki.dll in the run dialogue box. Does anybody know about this? Will it work? It sounds like it only applies if the problem is a VX2 bug.
http://www.ehow.com/how_6856848_remo...ion-error.html

Thanks
Andrew

Last edited by Andrewjmarino; 03-Jun-2011 at 10:54 PM..
Member with 2,242 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Jun-2011, 10:49 PM #2
If you are not running a genuine copy of Windows you will get no help here, read the TOS.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

16-Jun-2011, 07:40 AM #3
As best I can tell, Andrew did not indicate that he is not running a genuine copy of Windows XP. He merely stated that he does not have an SP3 CD, so cannot satisfy the error message's directions to insert the original XP CD for SP3 code because it does not contain SP3. Like me, he is probably running a legal XP version with an earlier SP base and downloaded XP3 when it came out, so the required SP3 resides somewhere on a hard drive, on a backup, or was discarded after installation.

I am having the same problem. My copy of XP is certainly valid but an SP2 base, and SP3 resides in a source code directory, not on the XP CD. Some additional searching did turn up the following: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp...n-problem.html. When I looked at the register entry SourcePath, I found that it pointed to an invalid drive. I fixed it, but won't know whether it fixes the problem until, probably, after I reboot which I don't do just on a whim--that bogus XP message can reside in the background until I come to a point where I find it possible to reboot.
Moderator with 63,304 posts.

16-Jun-2011, 08:02 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLD44 View Post
As best I can tell, Andrew did not indicate that he is not running a genuine copy of Windows XP. He merely stated that he does not have an SP3 CD, so cannot satisfy the error message's directions to insert the original XP CD for SP3 code because it does not contain SP3. .
actually, he did; he just edited it out.

As a result of that, I'm going to close this thread.

thanks,

v
Moderator with 63,304 posts.

16-Jun-2011, 08:04 AM #5
dld44, if you are still having issues, feel free to start a new thread in the XP forums.

thanks,

v
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
file protection error, windows file protection

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!