Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

System32\DRIVERS\pci.sys missing or corrupt

(!)

Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Jun-2011, 01:34 AM #1
System32\DRIVERS\pci.sys missing or corrupt
Hi everyone,
I got the following message: System32\DRIVERS\pci.sys missing or corrupt. It seems unlikely to me that the problem has anything to do with anything extra hardware I've installed since the only thing I ever use is an external HD which hasn't even been connected in months. In any case, I haven't any idea how to fix this. Safe mode, and every single other option that comes up after an "unexpected shutdown" doesn't work. It may load a few files but then stops and does the "System32\DRIVERS\pci.sys missing or corrupt."

I do have the CD's that came with it. I haven't done the complete system reinstallation because I have some files that I'd really prefer not to lose. Is there any hope?

Thank you for any help you can offer!

Sarah
Member with 1,938 posts.

18-Jun-2011, 03:09 AM #2
Boot from your XP installation CD
when the Setup screen appears select the second option by pressing R to enter the Recovery Console
once you have selected your Windows installation and logged in (using a password if you have one set) type these commands in (pressing enter key after each line)

Type MAP to determine the drive letter assigned to the CD-ROM. in this example I have used the letter D, yours maybe different but MAP will tell you

Type expand D:\i386\pci.sy_ c:\Windows\System32\drivers /y

You should receive a message that says:
pci.sys
1 file(s) expanded.

Type exit
now reboot.

note: the above is off the top of my head, but Im pretty sure the command is correct
Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Jun-2011, 08:36 PM #3
Thank you soo much!

My friend had a go last night, and now when it turns on, it asks which OS I want. It shows me three versions, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, XP Home Edition 1, and XP Home Edition 2. That's not good having three is it?

Now it's got another problem:

System32\DRIVERS\isapnp.sys missing or corrupt

Do I do the same thing as you suggested but use the file name of this problem? And I have a bad feeling I'm going to have to do this for each drive file again.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
errors, pci.sys

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!