Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Question about KB2541763

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Advanced
28-Jun-2011, 01:39 PM #1
Question about KB2541763
Does anyone know what in Windows XP is fixed with KB2541763. They say it's not security, but they do not have any details anywhere on what the issues are. That makes me uneasy. Thanks.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
28-Jun-2011, 01:53 PM #2
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,438 posts.

28-Jun-2011, 01:59 PM #3
KB2541763 appears to be an update for Windows XP and Windows Vista, but I was unable to determine what the update is for because the Microsoft link for it isn't working.

Normally, you can click on and highlight an update and it'll tell you what it's for.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs

28-Jun-2011, 02:32 PM #4
Thanks for the response. I did search the Knowledge Base and Googled the KB number. Each response came back to the statement that it is a non-security update to Windows (in my case XP SP3) and no details on the issues it's supposed to fix. Guess I'll just let it go and not do the update. Thanks again for responding.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

28-Jun-2011, 02:44 PM #5
Was it a high-priority or an optional update?

---------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs

28-Jun-2011, 02:55 PM #6
Red face Question about KB2541763
It isn't identified as High Priority and when I checked Microsoft they say it is non-security. Here is the description from the update:
"Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer."
Unfortunately there are no details listed. Just the "issues in Windows". I just won't install it. I just really try to stay on top of Updates and the vague nature of this one threw me.
Thanks.
Computer Specs

28-Jun-2011, 03:16 PM #7
Can I make a suggestion to you?

The next time that you receive an alert and are prompted to download and install updates, go to the Windows Update site and do a "custom" scan.

When the scan is finished and the list of updates is displayed, it allows you to uncheck the updates that you don't want to install.

This applies to high-priority and optional software and optional hardware updates.

Normally, you want to select and install all high-priority updates, but there may be one or two that you don't really need.

By clicking the + next to an update, it expands it and tells you what it's for.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs

28-Jun-2011, 03:27 PM #8
Thanks. I forgot about the scan on the Update site. That's a good suggestion.
Computer Specs

28-Jun-2011, 03:34 PM #9
Whether I'm using Windows XP or Vista or 7, I never allow Windows Update to automatically download and install updates.

I always select the option to only notify me of any new updates, but never to automatically download and install them.

That gives me complete control over which ones to select for download and install.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs

28-Jun-2011, 04:01 PM #10
Me too.
Computer Specs

28-Jun-2011, 04:15 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computer Granny View Post
Me too.
Member with 5,654 posts.

28-Jun-2011, 04:44 PM #12
I also use the 'Custom' option to collect updates and the last time I did so, (sometime last week?), I was only offerred 8 'Optional' patches.

I just repeated the process and was offerred KB 2541763 as a 'High Priority' update that "enables Internet Explorer in Windows XP, in Windows Vista, or in Windows Server 2008 to parse fragmented TLS/SSL handshake messages". This is the link to the full KB article that worked for me; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2541763

I don't use IE (except in conjunction with Firefox to collect updates) and I certainly don't use it for any 'secure' https sites, such as banks etc., so I shan't be rushing to install this particular patch. I am also very curious as to why I haven't seen any of the usual announcements about an out of band patch being released (although it is Tuesday!). Perhaps I've been looking in the wrong places?
Member with 419 posts.

Experience: English, some Einstein
28-Jun-2011, 09:36 PM #13
Here are a few links to soothe your questions:

http://www.mskbarticles.com/index.ph...-base-articles

http://www.mskbarticles.com/index.php?kb=2541763

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2541763

Has to do with SSL (Secure Socket Layers) commnication (Internet or Lan). If you have a highspeed connection and no bottle necks, your probably not having issues. Its a just in case modification :/

Microsoft does not always explain items in Laymen's terms. Sometimes they barely explain it all

They're old emails about updates and such were better rounded. IMHO... and then some

Cheers!
Junior Member with 1 posts.

28-Jun-2011, 11:04 PM #14
Curiously, if KB2541763 was not 'High Priority' nor 'security' related, why has it taken on the proportions of an "out-of-band" release that otherwise could not wait till the second Tuesday of July (July 12th)?

This will certainly give our corporate techs cause for concern because it seems to prompt a mandatory system reboot as it did for me.
Member with 5,654 posts.

29-Jun-2011, 08:02 AM #15
It is described as High Priority in the relevant KB article and my NOD32 antivirus has changed its icon to amber (because I don't yet have the patch installed) and describes it as being 'Critical', (presumably that is Eset's choice of wording not Microsoft's).

Any IE user that routinely uses secure sites should certainly think about installing this, whether it is High Priority or Critical, even though MS do not appear to have made any formal announcement yet about its 'out of band' status.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!