Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to remove SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION folder? [Please help, it's driving me INSANE]


(!)

MidnightLuna's Avatar
MidnightLuna MidnightLuna is offline
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Experience: Intermediate
08-Jul-2011, 03:24 PM #1
Exclamation How to remove SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION folder? [Please help, it's driving me INSANE]
I'm on a Windows XP computer. My C drive (which is main) has a total of 19.5 GB of space but I only have 192 KB of free space left! The hidden System Volume Information folder is taking up 14.3 GB of space! Meaning I am only using like 5 GB for program and personal files. And as we all know, you can't just directly delete the System Volume Information folder since it has something to do with the System Restore stuff (which is turned off!) I have tried every method on the internet to help me, but nothing is working! I tried installing CCleaner but that can't be installed as I only have 192 KB left on the C drive... and when I try to download it into a flash drive and install it from there to use the program, it won't work... I NEED TO GET RID OF THIS SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION folder. I think I've come to a point where I don't care if I screw up the system restore by directly deleting the folder. I NEED THOSE 14.3 GB. Is there ANY safe way to get rid of it? I can't even start a new restore point...

Also another problem I'm having is whenever I drag, cut, or copy a folder or item from any of the drives on My Computer, it freezes.

I'll be VERY thankful to those who help!
Lozzy-loz's Avatar
Lozzy-loz Lozzy-loz is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 443 posts.
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: England
Experience: Intermediate
08-Jul-2011, 05:59 PM #2
Have you tried the windows disk cleanup program which might free you up some space.Programs,accessories,system tools,disk clean up.If system restore is turned off there should not be much in the system volume information folder.The disk cleanup program also gives you the option to delete all but the current restore point although there should be none there.Many viruses find there way into the system volume information folder and a virus scan would not hurt.If you can free up enough space a scan with Malware Bytes might help.
srhoades's Avatar
Member with 2,223 posts.
 
Join Date: May 2003
Experience: Advanced
08-Jul-2011, 06:17 PM #3
Right click on my computer, go to properties, go to system restore, move the slider down the 3% (or you can turn system restore off). Then perform a disk cleanup, click the tab for more options, and click the box to clear all but the most recent restore point.
MidnightLuna's Avatar
MidnightLuna MidnightLuna is offline
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Experience: Intermediate
09-Jul-2011, 03:12 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzy-loz View Post
Have you tried the windows disk cleanup program which might free you up some space.Programs,accessories,system tools,disk clean up.If system restore is turned off there should not be much in the system volume information folder.The disk cleanup program also gives you the option to delete all but the current restore point although there should be none there.Many viruses find there way into the system volume information folder and a virus scan would not hurt.If you can free up enough space a scan with Malware Bytes might help.
Disk cleanup is not working for me... supposedly I don't have enough free space to even do it. And coincidentally I have already scanned with Malware Bytes and it hasn't really been so helpful. Usually after I remove the found viruses and do another scan the next day, usually the results will be of the same viruses in the same location which I have to remove again. This sometimes repeats over a period of days. Even after removing them multiple times!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srhoades View Post
Right click on my computer, go to properties, go to system restore, move the slider down the 3% (or you can turn system restore off). Then perform a disk cleanup, click the tab for more options, and click the box to clear all but the most recent restore point.
There is no slider for me. On "More Options" there is a option to clean up System Restore and "delete all but the most recent restore point" I pressed "yes" but nothing ever happens. I'm telling you, I tried EVERYTHING yet this ridiculous computer is doing nothing! Will System Recovery work or something? I'm losing all my patience here.
pyritechips's Avatar
pyritechips   (Jim) pyritechips is offline
pyritechips has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 26,276 posts.
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Experience: Intermediate
09-Jul-2011, 03:27 AM #5
Read this article carefully before you do anything, and if you do decide to follow through read and follow the instructions carefully!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531

Caveat: only you are responsible for the actions you take upon your computer.
Lozzy-loz's Avatar
Lozzy-loz Lozzy-loz is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 443 posts.
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: England
Experience: Intermediate
09-Jul-2011, 09:03 AM #6
If viruses are regenerating themselves it could be of an issue for the security forum.Pyritechips has given the answer for the system volume information but heed his caveat.
Rosemary16's Avatar
Rosemary16 Rosemary16 is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 74 posts.
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Experience: Adept
09-Jul-2011, 12:16 PM #7
Sounds like a serious disk space association problem. If i were you I would try deleting individual file from the system volume folder so it only takes up for example 13.3 GB. Why would the computer need more disk space for system information than is even available for use?

And also, there is an error with file deletion that reads: "Cannot delete file! Insuffecient disk space to delete the file and send it to the recycling bin!" Also, you can use a spare 20 GB hard drive if you have one to move your system volume information to for the time being.
MidnightLuna's Avatar
MidnightLuna MidnightLuna is offline
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Experience: Intermediate
13-Jul-2011, 03:54 AM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosemary16 View Post
Sounds like a serious disk space association problem. If i were you I would try deleting individual file from the system volume folder so it only takes up for example 13.3 GB. Why would the computer need more disk space for system information than is even available for use?

And also, there is an error with file deletion that reads: "Cannot delete file! Insuffecient disk space to delete the file and send it to the recycling bin!" Also, you can use a spare 20 GB hard drive if you have one to move your system volume information to for the time being.
I deleted individual files from the SVI folder until it took up about 12.8 GB of space leaving me with 1 GB of free space. But the problem is, the 12.8 GB is all in my recent restore point (meaning I deleted individual files from an old restore point to free up space), and it just increased to 13.4 GB. How can I stop it from increasing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyritechips View Post
Read this article carefully before you do anything, and if you do decide to follow through read and follow the instructions carefully!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531

Caveat: only you are responsible for the actions you take upon your computer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzy-loz View Post
If viruses are regenerating themselves it could be of an issue for the security forum.Pyritechips has given the answer for the system volume information but heed his caveat.
The article seems helpful. But I'm not fully sure with going along with it. After I access SVI following the instructions in the article, what do I do next? Will there be options for me to edit the SVI and stuff? I don't trust myself editing that information without something to guide me... And I ran a full scan with Malwarebytes a couple of days ago. It found infected files in the SVI folder. I scanned it the next day and they were still infected even after being removed. And then I scanned it yesterday, there was no infections found. I also want to mention how CCleaner worked for me a couple of days ago, and now it doesn't. Whenever I try to open it, the program opens and then automatically exits. I try to open it again, and it does the same thing, automatically exits by itself (I even uninstalled and reinstalled the program a zillion times). But it's also happening to every program I'm trying to download. Like for instance, I'm trying to download the Avast Antivirus, it'll download but when I start the installation, it'll exit itself. Why is this happening? I can't download or open any program without it exiting by itself.
EAFiedler's Avatar
Moderator with 13,726 posts.
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Indiana
13-Jul-2011, 12:54 PM #9
Hi MidnightLuna

If I missed this information, my apologies.
  • Are you using Windows XP Home or Professional?
  • When you mouse over the C: drive does it show as the NTFS system?
  • Do you have more than one hard drive installed?
  • How many partitions do you have?
  • Have you tried enabling System Restore, adjusting the slider, rebooting, then disabling System Restore?
  • You have given yourself access to the System Volume Information folder?
  • Are you editing individual folders in the C:\System Volume Information\_restore{long number} folder or deleting whole folders in the
    C:\System Volume Information\_restore{long number} folder?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.


Tags
cacls, folder, information, remove, system, system restore, volume

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


WELCOME
You Are Using: Server ID
Trusted Website Back to the Top ↑