Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

uninstall ubuntu, install xp

(!)

CloudHawk CloudHawk is offline CloudHawk has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 8 posts.

Experience: garage key puncher
13-Jul-2011, 06:30 AM #1
Exclamation uninstall ubuntu, install xp
I'm trying to install windows XP over a ubuntu install, the computer specs are in my profile, but basically it is a amd 64x2 athelon, Ive got a 250g wd hd in it now, fully formatted, from external source, i.e. i put it in a external case and formatted it like a usb or floppy, ill name it ( x )l, then 2 other drive physically in the computer but un plugged with a bad install of umbuntu still on them, I've tried to take another computer and load the xp sys, program files, nvidia, and any other files i thought i might need in it, from another xp computer onto (x) hd. then tried to install xp from a valid xp disk, remember only ( x ) hd is plugged it,
now is the point( 5 days later) that i found this forum, and read @cstrikehero777 s http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp...ow-remove.html
problem report from sept 08, w/ almost 1000 views, alot of info in it, all of which i have tried, them it ends with "i solved the problem " and not how it was solved,

ok, back to xp, installation, i have a formatted 250 g hd installed, w/ xp disk in and running , in setup, windows tells me no hard drive is installed(weird that linux reads 6g ram?) i enter install xp professional setup anyway and come up with a -
"setupdd.sys
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA"
MAKE SURE HARDWARE IS INSTALLED CORRECTLY YADA YADA YADA,,,, DISABLE BIOS??? HU? RESTART, F8 ,, ADVANCED STARTUP, YADA YADA YADA,,,, SELECT SAFE MODE,,,, YADA (i cant get to safe mode)
Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xe26d7957, 0x000000000, 0xf418cad, 0x0000000002)
*** setup.sys - address F7418cad base at F73ec000. DateStamp 41107c8f

at this point i am thinking of making a backup of another working xp sys, (i have 5 of the same computer) and re-install off of that then put the right CD keys in Microsoft, but with the way I'm going in circles there has to be a better way,
any help would be appreciated, thank u for yer time, Dan
We think of ourselves far too frequently as just individuals, separated from one another, whereas you are connected and what you do affects the whole World. When you do well, it spreads out; it is for the whole of humanity.

Last edited by CloudHawk; 13-Jul-2011 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: sp, Distribution, wrong topic
Computer Specs
Member with 371 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Jul-2011, 12:03 PM #2
Okay, when you say you formatted the "X" hd, how did you format it? did you plug it into a windows?
Computer Specs

13-Jul-2011, 05:03 PM #3
i removed my external hard drive from the external case and put my c or x drive in the case and formated it from the usb on a xp system
Computer Specs

13-Jul-2011, 05:07 PM #4
then i put the system from that working xp os into the c or x drive along with whatever else i thought i would need after start up, ,,, was this a mistake, xp will burn over all that info?
but then how do i get the "setupdd.sys " that xp is looking for to startup?
Computer Specs

13-Jul-2011, 06:49 PM #5
could it be the ide controler, or a boot loader? microsoft had this but it didnt work
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305595
Member with 1,670 posts.

14-Jul-2011, 12:43 AM #6
when you remove the partition or format the drive ubuntu was running on. The boot loader is not removed .
so the boot loader must be removed before you can load windows on that drive. The easist way if you have a win98e boot disk run it(if you have a floppy drive) and at the prompt type fdisk /mbr Or if you have a low level format tool you can remove it with a low level format.place the drive in other machine and set it as slave to do the format.
The drive must be clean before you replace the os with a windows copy..
Computer Specs

14-Jul-2011, 12:56 AM #7
i tried the fdisk , didnt work, tried reformating as a slave, didnt work either, tried a msdos startup disk , nope
tried syschk negitive
tried windows 95 startup, (going way back there) , nothin
sys check read the drive, 250g but none of them put command.com on it
idont think this will work but i have 4 of the same systems, , im doing a sysbck as an external drive and going to try to boot off that,???
Computer Specs

14-Jul-2011, 12:58 AM #8
ill add the right product key after instalation
Computer Specs
Member with 371 posts.

15-Jul-2011, 06:48 PM #9
Why didn't you just stick the hard drive in the permanent case and install windows xp onto it from there?
Computer Specs

16-Jul-2011, 12:24 AM #10
i can do that?
well i downloaded the 5 floppy disk set of xp from microsoft, it worked in the amd64, but now i have no internet, will not work on the dell gx260, or the hp amd64 laptop though, i traded vista for xp , fair i think, but i cant get online now
Computer Specs
Member with 371 posts.

16-Jul-2011, 03:24 PM #11
But, wait, what? Floppy? Don't you have a disc?
Account Disabled with 5,251 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Jul-2011, 05:02 PM #12
Let us know when you get a proper XP install disc....it doesn't come in a form that would fit on 5 floppies and its not available from Microsoft. Maybe MS-DOS would fit on 5 or 6 floppies but even then I don't know that its available from Microsoft.
Computer Specs

16-Jul-2011, 07:42 PM #13
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];310994

this is where u can download them from, i have a couple copys of the xp cd s , but as i said the dvd disk drive was not working, its all up and running now, the disks did the job, then i installed the mainboard drivers from open source by usb to get the ethernet nic, that got me online, and im loading xpsp3 now
Account Disabled with 5,251 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Jul-2011, 07:43 PM #14
Ah, Windows XP SETUP disk, not Install disc, understood. That's going old, old school, forgot all about it, heck, I don't even know if I have a working floppy drive. Missed wherever you mention the optical drive was not working as well....not my day eh?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
format, install, setupdd.sys, ubuntu, windows xp

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!