Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Need to reset my old Compaq Presario Desktop MV540 to factory settings

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Aug-2011, 05:18 PM #1
Angry Need to reset my old Compaq Presario Desktop MV540 to factory settings
I have an old Compaq Presario MV540 that I use just for games. It's running on Windows XP.
I had two user accounts on the computer that were password protected. Somehow, my lovely brother figured out my password and got into my account. He then changed my password along with his password. Then he forgot both of them (what a genius). We tried unsuccessfully to figure out the passwords for sometime. When that didn't work, he kept pressing random buttons (he just keeps getting smarter) and somehow, he set a COMPUTER password. So when we turn on the computer, it won't even go to the account page now. It has a black screen and asks us to type in a "Computer password" which he doesn't know. I'd like to get this ordeal over with and just reset the whole computer (nothing on there is worth saving anyway). We don't have any recovery CDs or the Windows XP CDs anymore as we had thrown them out when we got a Mac for general usage.
How can we resolve this? Can I do anything without a recovery CD? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,237 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Aug-2011, 12:46 AM #2
Hi and Welcome,
It sounds as if it's the BIOS p/w that's been re-set in which case this may not work. But ... if you can boot from a CD why not try and install Ubuntu? A free & legal Linux operating system? It would make the machine usable.

http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/features

How to install http://seogadget.co.uk/the-ubuntu-installation-guide/ version has changed, but method the same.

Hope this is some help?

Richard
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
compaq

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!