Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Fatal Blue Screen - Total Death - HELP!!

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Aug-2011, 02:07 PM #1
Fatal Blue Screen - Total Death - HELP!!
1 - I have a DELL Vostro-400, Intel DuoCore 2 Mghz, 4 meg DDR2 Ram, Hitachi 500 gb Sata HD, WINDOWS XP HOME SP-3

2-Been getting blue screen about once a week. Turn off PC, turn back on - everything seems to be fine.

3- I upgraded the Nvidia 8300 GS to the 8400 GS however needed more power than my supply had. Not compatible. Totally MY FAULT for not carefully reading the req's.

4- I guess this pushed my system over the edge and on startup I now get UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME ERROR BLUE SCREEN.

5- I already did my homework and know that its either a cable problem, a bios setting problem, or a damaged file problem. I did everything as suggested dealing with a damaged file and NOTHING worked, ie; safe mode, use win xp install disk to get to repair console and already did chkdsk /r, AND fixboot command too - NOTHING.

QUESTIONS - Could I have damaged the graphic card slot when changing cards? Not sure what 40 pin & 80 pin cable means - anyone know?? HOW do I reset the bios?

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP - WOULD APPRECIATE ANY CONSIDERATION & SUGGESTIONS.
Junior Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Advanced
12-Aug-2011, 02:10 PM #2
To reset the bios, remove the battery inside!
Can you tell me the error code of the blue screen?
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Aug-2011, 02:27 PM #3
THANK YOU for the preompt reply -
OK, right now I can see nothing because I guess the wrong graphics card changed the settings on my PC and when i put the old card nvidia card back in - it says monitor can not function under present resolution. ALSO when i reinstalled the old graphics card is when the boot volume error appeared. Been in hell ever since, WHAT DO I DO??
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
blue screen, unmountable boot volume, win xp

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!