Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can i add a hard drive with windows 7 into my XP computer?

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Beginner
20-Aug-2011, 11:53 PM #1
Can i add a hard drive with windows 7 into my XP computer?
Awhile back my computer which was running Windows 7 went into sleep mode and it never woke up again. I've heard several theories about what that's all about, but I'm not trying to fix it at the moment because I still have an old computer with XP on it. I am however wondering if it is possible to add my hard drive from the Windows 7 computer into my Windows XP computer. I assume the hard drive is fine, since it was only a few months old when the computer messed up, and that computer was never hooked up to the internet, so I highly doubt I got a virus or anything.

Anyway, if anybody can tell me if my plan will work or not, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is online now flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,336 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-Aug-2011, 09:15 AM #2
You cannot take a hard drive from one desktop and install it in another desktop and then expect Windows to load and work. The hard drive needs to be formatted and then Windows reinstalled.

I also question if the hardware and devices in the Windows XP desktop are compatible with and sufficient to run Windows 7.

--------------------------------------------------------

21-Aug-2011, 09:36 AM #3
Well thanks for the replies. I had a feeling that might be the case, but I was hoping I was wrong. Just wish I had my 400 gig hard drive still instead of this 28 gig... Looks like I may just have to get the other one working again.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is online now flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

21-Aug-2011, 09:41 AM #4
A 28 GB hard drive is fine for running Windows XP and its associated programs and addons - as long as you don't load it with a bunch of videos, music, photos, etc..

------------------------------------------------------

Is your Windows 7 computer a known factory brand model, and did it come with a built-in system recovery partition?

-------------------------------------------------------

21-Aug-2011, 10:06 AM #5
The 28 gig xp hard drive works fine and everything, its just full of music and pictures and a couple games already, so I'm down to about a gig of free space left. Was hoping I could get some extra space as well as the music I don't have on the xp computer.

The Windows 7 computer is a Gateway, it's probably 4 years old now. Originally when I bought it, it had Vista on it, but the hard drive fried itself, so I bought a new one and upgraded to 7, since that happened shortly after 7 came out. I don't have a recovery disc, but I do still have 2 installs left on my copy of 7 that I purchased.

Not sure what happened to the 7 computer. It just went into sleep mode and wouldn't come back on. I've heard theories ranging from the mother board being shot, to maybe my RAM came loose or something. But I'm not much of a computer wiz, so I've just been letting it sit and not risking doing more damage to it with my unskilled hands.
Computer Specs

21-Aug-2011, 04:10 PM #6
If you copy all those music and picture files to CD-R's/DVD-R's or an external hard drive or both, you can then delete them from that 28 GB hard drive and reclaim a lot of free space.

If that 28 GB hard drive dies, you'll lose them all anyway.

---------------------------------------------------------

If the Recycle Bin is still set at its default value of 10%, change it to 3%.

If System Restore is still set at its default value of 12%, change it to 3%.

There's no need for either to have so much hard drive dedicated to them.

----------------------------------------------------------
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
hard drive, windows 7, windows xp

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!