Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Lines on Desktop, half of screen is white but not permanent

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
22-Aug-2011, 09:15 AM #1
Lines on Desktop, half of screen is white but not permanent
I have a problem with my Windows XP Desktop, there are blue lines on the top of the screen and the task bar was missing but I managed to pull it up from the bottom so its back again.
Sometimes half of the screen goes white and then normal. When it does go back to normal the top part where the line is crossed is working but the bottom half is not, like its frozen there. The mouse cursor moves really slowly.
However for a little bit the screen goes normal (although the blue line is still flickering) and I can open IE.

Please help? I have no idea what's happening.
SUEOHIO   (SUE) SUEOHIO is offline SUEOHIO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,680 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Aug-2011, 09:18 AM #2
It sounds to me that its possibly a problem with the monitor or the graphics or video cards or drivers.

22-Aug-2011, 09:22 AM #3
Thank you for replying back!
What should I do to solve this problem though?
Do I need to change the monitor, graphics, video card or driver? Or is there a way to click inside of the desktop screen? (It works momentarily.)
SUEOHIO   (SUE) SUEOHIO is offline SUEOHIO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,680 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Aug-2011, 02:43 PM #4
Your welcome.You might want to try another monitor if you have a spare or can borrow one. if it works ok then id say its the monitor and would need replaced. if it does it to another monitor then its a graphics or video card or driver problem.i would start with changing the monitor and go from there.i dont think theres a way to click inside the desktop screen not that ive heard of anyway. but if there is someone will be along im sure to correct me.

23-Aug-2011, 09:46 AM #5
Hi,
have you tried unplugging and plugging back power cable of the screen?

If that doesn't help, have you checked if there are any drivers that you are missing? When you go to properties of My computer and click on Hardware tab and Device manager, do you see any yellow exclamation marks next to any of the device?

Next thing I would do is swapping screen, if you can borrow from someone, as it may be a hardware problem as well.

By the way.. what does "click inside of the desktop screen" mean? ^^

Regards
Elwira
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
desktop, screen, windows xp

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!