Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

My computer won't download anything-I NEED HELP

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Beginner
04-Sep-2011, 04:13 AM #1
Unhappy My computer won't download anything-I NEED HELP
Hello-I am new and I pray someone here can help me-For months now my computer will not let me download anything-It also won't let me right click on anything to say copy something to my pictures-I tried to bring up my Internet Options tonight to check my security setting and it won't even open IO's-I think it all started when I switched to IE7 or 8-Once I downloaded the newer version my toolbar went missing things I can't get back and all these other things happened-I tried to remove the new version of IE but it wouldn't completely remove so I could go back to my old one-I even did system restore and that didn't work so I've been stuck like this for months but now I'm back in school and my professors sometimes send me attachments that I cannot even open-Can someone help me as soon as possible-I'm pulling an allnighter trying to get this fixed-Thanks Janell
Member with 1,639 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Sep-2011, 05:59 AM #2
you will need to do a repair on the web browser installed look in add remove programs right click on microsoft internet explorer click remove ,an option to repair should be seen.
Computer Specs

04-Sep-2011, 07:29 AM #3
Thank you I will try that but I don't believe it gave me that option the time I tried to remove-It started the removal process and then a pop-up kept coming up saying that there was a part of IE missing and gave me the option to retry or delete and either one I would click on it just kept popping up until I would just literally have to leave the page-I think I really messed it up!

I just brought up the romove and delete programs page and by Internet Explorer it has in parenthesis (Enable DEP)????

Last edited by JanellDaniel; 04-Sep-2011 at 07:36 AM..
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 450 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Sep-2011, 07:36 AM #4
Do you have your xp cd??
If so then you should try a repair install.It will revert ie back to whatever version is on your xp cd.

Here is a link explaining how to do a repair install.
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic...ir-windows-xp/
Computer Specs

04-Sep-2011, 08:02 AM #5
xp cd
Yes I have my windows xp cd but it is very old-It is labeled Reinstalation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2-But I thought if I did what you say I will loose everything that is now on my computer-Such as software I purchased online etc-I think your talking about reformating my computer?-I was successful in removeing IE but it won't let me download IE7 what I had before-I am so confused because the IE icons (I have 2 & I don't know why) are still working though even though IE is not listed on the add or delete page anymore-I so appreciate all the help you are trying to help me with-My brother told me about your web-site and talked very highly of ya'll-Janell
Computer Specs

04-Sep-2011, 09:05 AM #6
No Im not talking about reformating it is called a repair install.And you loose nothing you have installed except updates.And yes the cd you have will work.Also here is a link to sp3 after you have performed a repair install.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...ylang=en&id=24
Computer Specs

04-Sep-2011, 09:57 AM #7
One more question before I do all this-I have 3 cd's #1 Operating Sytem=reinstallation cd-#2 Application=reinstalation Tools Systems Software & #3 Drivers & Utilities=Dell Dimension & Dell XPS ResourceCD-Do I reinstall them all? Or which one do I use in the directions of the link you gave me?
Computer Specs

04-Sep-2011, 11:08 AM #8
Use the Operating System CD There is no need for the others because with a repair install you will not loose any of your programs.It fixes any changes done to the os not your documents or programs pic etc.
The only thing you will lose is up dates that is why i provided a link to sp3 which you should install as soon as you perform the repair install.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,068 posts.

Experience: Still Learning....
06-Sep-2011, 04:57 PM #9
Perhaps you can try a different browser or try a system restore to a time when the problem wasn't there.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!