Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

My memory has diminished from 512 megabytes to 502-504

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

07-Sep-2011, 11:05 PM #1
Unhappy My memory has diminished from 512 megabytes to 502-504
When I changed internet service providers, from ATT to Comcast. I continued to use my McAfee from ATT until it expired. Almost immediately as my McAfee from ATT expired, I noticed strange activity. (I have had viruses a few times in the past) Anyway, I decided to check the status of the security (Norton) that I knew I should have from Comcast, the new provider. To my surprise, I was expected to download and install it, (that is a whole other story). Anyway, the virus activity progressed to the point where my entire system was hijacked. I could not open anything. When I called Comcast for their assistance in downloading and installing their virus protection service, I was told by the tech support person that I could NOT install the Norton, if a virus was already on my computer, and as I had no money to get the virus removed, it was suggested that I restore my pc if possible. I've had to do this about 4 times in the past, either because of virus or replacing the hard drive. So, I completely restored my pc with the restore disk.

After restoring my pc, I attepted to download the security system But then, a message popped up stating that I had to upgrade from ie6 to ie8, so I did that, then I when I attempted once again to download and install the security service, I got the following message: "Complete Guard Protection System requires a minimum of 512 MB of memory. Your computer only has 502 MB of memory. We are unable to install Constant Guard on this computer." I never ever had a problem downloading anything! Furthermore, the sticker on my pc when it is new that shows the specs states that the pc has 512 MB of RAM. When I looked at the system hardware, it now says that I have only 504 MB of memory (not 502 as indicated by the Complete Guard downoad message.) What do I do to increase my memory? Can I just buy memory boards and install them? I have defragged the drive, I have deleted temporary internet files, I have emptied the hard drive. All of my harddrive space is free? What do I do?
SUEOHIO   (SUE) SUEOHIO is offline SUEOHIO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,665 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-Sep-2011, 11:51 PM #2
If your computer can support more ram added to it then yes you can add more ram modules.for xp at least 1 gig of ram will make it a lot faster.theres a lot of good free antivirus programs out there that you can use that are user friendly. i know on these forums a lot of people use microsoft security essentials. i switched to it because i got tired of avg foolishness.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!