Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Bootable USB with CHKDSK

(!)

Junior Member with 6 posts.

Experience: New CS student
09-Oct-2011, 11:38 AM #1
Red face Bootable USB with CHKDSK
OK, my friend unloaded an old Dell Inspiron 6000 (1.73 GHz pentium M, 1GB DDR2 SDRAM, 80 GB HDD, etc.) and it's in pretty bad shape. The left-CTRL key is missing, one of the side USB port has been damaged by jamming something that didn't belong in there i guess and most of all, I get a Blue Screen Of Death(BSOD) when trying to boot the Windows XP Home installed on it.

I've tried to boot from several different CDs like the windows XP installation and recovery disk. I also used some bootable USB using different linux to view and test the HDD, but none allowed me to run CHKDSK or something similar. Also, I'm not very accustomed to linux and command shells.

Here's what I know and what I have access to now:
• I need to run CHKDSK, this might fix everything.
• The DVD-RW reader/writer does not seem to boot anything, lights come on but the system never reads any disks.
• I have USB ports and I know the system can Boot USB.
• I don't have access to a Windows XP disk at the moment.
• I have a few other computers, all running Windows 7 to access the internet and create a Bootable USB with dos utilities.
• I know CHKDSK is a Microsoft licensed utility, hopefully I can get around not having a windows XP disk. (I have a Win 7 x64 installation disk)
• I believe the 80 GB HDD in the laptop is NTFS file system, could this complicate things when trying to run CHKDSK from a Bootable DOS USB?

So here's what I'm hoping for, I wish to create a bootable USB with Dos utilities, mainly with CHKDSK. I've also comteemplated the idea of opening up the laptop to remove the HDD and install it onto another system as slave(non-primary) to then run CHKDSK.

Any suggestions ?

Raffix
first time poster
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

09-Oct-2011, 11:59 AM #2
Chkdsk can't fix a faulty optical drive or a physically damaged USB port. Chkdsk is a hard drive checking utility. If you don't have a Windows XP disk or the restore disks for this computer, you can't reinstall Windows anyway.

What problems are you looking to resolve with this system?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
09-Oct-2011, 12:47 PM #3
As mentioned, chkdsk checks and fixes only the NTFS file system. It does not fix boot sectors or hard drives.

If the USB port is shorted, you could try disabling USB in BIOS, though that may not stop power from being supplied to those ports. A short would prevent boot and possibly also the loading of Windows beyond the initializing of the USB drivers.

DOS utilities are useless on modern machines, and the DOS chkdsk is a different program altogether.

09-Oct-2011, 02:04 PM #4
OK, i guess i wasn't clear enough. I don't care about the optical drive or the single USB port that is damaged. There's 3 more USB port on the laptop that seem to work fine.

I want to fix the Windows XP on the laptop, I get a Blue screen of death error message that says to run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption.

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF79FE528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I cannot used a CD to fix it, hence why i'm lookinng for a bootable USB utility to fix this HDD and fix the windows XP Home, once i can boot Windows i'll be happy.
Computer Specs

09-Oct-2011, 02:16 PM #5
The broken USB may be why XP does not load.

Chkdsk will not fix your problem. The error you have is STOP 7B, Inaccessible Boot Device, which means that Windows is unable to load the driver for your hard drive. It could be that the hard drive is damaged. In any case, a working optical drive would be useful for fixing this, if only to allow you to make a bootable USB key from a CD.

Reinstalling XP would be the best idea.

09-Oct-2011, 04:53 PM #6
I have other computers with workable disk drive and internet access, I just want to boot on a USB stick and then run CHKDSK /F on the HDD to fix win XP. I'm pretty sure this is possible. Please forget about the USB port that is damage, it's not part of the solution i'm looking for, neither is the defective optical drive. My question only has to do on HOW to produce a USB bootable utility that can run CHKDSK on the laptop's HDD.
Computer Specs

09-Oct-2011, 05:14 PM #7
Chkdsk will not fix the drive. The drivers for the hard drive are missing or damaged. If it is a SATA drive, you need to install SATA drivers which XP does not contain.

10-Oct-2011, 10:25 AM #8
The drive is a Toshiba MK8026GAX and its ATA-6 or Ultra ATA/100. After a bit of searching I saw it was very easy to remove the drive.

I've been looking at external USB disk enclosure on amazon for the past 20 min. Trying to figure out if a new drive would be cheaper than trying to save this one.

Mind that I'm not even trying to recover data, I'm just trying to get that laptop working again.

10-Oct-2011, 10:29 AM #9
You haven't posted anything that indicates there's a problem with the hard drive. You only posted information about physical damage to the laptop.

You need the restore disks for the laptop so you can reinstall Windows XP regardless of what hard drive you do that on.

10-Oct-2011, 10:52 AM #10
That's what I would have done normally yes, but bare in mind that I posted that the optical drive does not seem to work for me, lights come on, disk is spinning, but never read. I also don't have the win XP install disk, recovery or this laptop's recovery disk.

Hence why I came to techguy.org's forums to find an alternative solution to my Blue Screen Of Death problem on this Dell Inspiron 6000. I wish to try to run CHKDSK /F on this HDD (hosting the win XP installation), maybe Windows XP will finally boot after fixing it with CHKDSK.

The HDD (Toshiba MK8026GAX0 is now out of the laptop. And i'm looking for an USB adapter or enclosure to read it from.

Any suggestions ?

10-Oct-2011, 11:06 AM #11
Chkdsk will not resolve a blue screen problem. If the hard drive does have bad sectors, chkdsk will simply mark them as bad, but the data on those sectors will still be gone.

Download a Linux Live disk, verify it boots on another computer, then try to boot from it on this laptop. Go into the BIOS and change the boot order to boot from CD first.

If the optical drive is indeed shot as well, tell your friend to buy a new laptop.

10-Oct-2011, 12:11 PM #12
The optical drive didn't react to win xp install disk and the win xp recovery disk. Maybe just a driver issue as well. I find it weird that the Blue screen message says to run CHKDSK /F if you say it wouldn't fix anything.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Advanced
12-Nov-2011, 11:42 PM #13
wow...
ok to answer your question (yes, i read it and understand you don't want help fixing your USB port or optical drive!)

YES, you can make a bootable USB stick

(and YES, chkdsk sometimes can fix drive problems, and Microsoft recommends you run it when XP won't boot! You will find that on many of the microsoft support pages, including the one specific to your stop error...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103 - Under other issues heading, "...run the chkdsk command on that drive...")

Try this:
Download Ultimate Boot CD from http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
Read the FAQ (about half way down) on how to make it bootable from USB - http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/faq.html
Download Avira NTFS4DOS plugin to get CHKDSK from http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/forums...php?f=8&t=1557
and add it to your Ultimate Boot CD(USB)

I only joined this site to provide you with this information, because quite frankly the advise (if you could call repeatedly telling you that chkdsk can't fix a broken USB port advise...) you got from this site was just embarrasing to read, aside from the fact none of them even read your question...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
bootable usb, bsod, chkdsk, dos, windows xp

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!