Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

mouse won't move can't log in

(!)

Member with 84 posts.

Experience: Beginner
20-Oct-2011, 09:16 PM #1
mouse won't move can't log in
Hi all,
My CD drive and DVD drives were not recognized by my desktop computer (using laptop now). I searched Google and found someone with same problem. This person had a fix delete filters in registry the right pane. I found the same key and filter and deleted it, rebooted and then my mouse would not work. I cannot get past the log in Windows log in screen to type my password. I've tried a few things, boot in safe mode, thought if I clicked on safe mode with command prompt I may be able to by pass the log in screen and do a system restore. I phoned a friend who knows a litle more than I do and he said I would have to do a complete format and reinstall Windows XP Home. Do you think he is correct?. He cannot do it for me cause he is not here, lives in another state. The other suggfestion was to download BartPE but I've never done that and wouldn't know what to do with the disk even. I've looked at the BartPE site and ther are a few options to download, Bart's boot CD, recovery CD, and XP CD, so I don't know which to do. I've tried and mouse and tried different USB Ports. Funny thing is that even if I take out the mouse from USB port and boot up to the Windows screen there is a frozen cursor stuck there. I'm lost, any suggestions please. My keyboard is still working, am wondering if there are any keystrokes to by pass the log in screen so I can do a system restore using keystrokes.
Josey
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,978 posts.

21-Oct-2011, 01:39 PM #2
When you get to the Log in screen, press the tab key twice.
If the ONLY problem is the mouse, this will allow you to log in with the keyboard.

If you get in and you need further advice please post.
If this does not work and the computer has a PS2 mouse port try a PS2 mouse.

If that does not work and you can get a boot from a CD we can hopefully get to the Recovery Console and initiate a system restore from there.

Even if you do not have the XP CD I can send you a download to make a recovery console CD
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
21-Oct-2011, 01:57 PM #3
Try System Restore. I think it is likely that you deleted the wrong registry keys. There are multiple places in the registry with filter drivers referenced and you may have removed the wrong one.
Computer Specs

21-Oct-2011, 03:43 PM #4
Quote:
Try System Restore.
Elvandil
I agree as you would expect - agreeing with you, but he cannot load windows.

Hence my previous
Quote:
If that does not work and you can get a boot from a CD we can hopefully get to the Recovery Console and initiate a system restore from there.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
21-Oct-2011, 04:04 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macboatmaster View Post
Elvandil
I agree as you would expect - agreeing with you, but he cannot load windows.

Hence my previous
Yes, I failed to notice it was XP. Vista or 7 he would have been able to use SR, and in Safe Mode in XP if he can get there.
Computer Specs

21-Oct-2011, 04:18 PM #6
Well at the moment he cannot get anywhere but if it is just the lack of a mouse I think the tab tab will get him to the password screen.

My guess is at the moment he deleted the wrong upper and lower class filters

As we know there are three registry entries for them DVD/CD, mouse and keyboard. In fact the mouse and keyboard have only upper filters - I think
Member with 84 posts.

22-Oct-2011, 07:56 PM #7
Thank you very much for responding. I've tried hitting the tab key in the safe mode windows splash screen but nothing happens. I would like the ]link to get to the recovery console please thats the only thing I haven't tried. I've tried the PS2 port, plus all other USB ports and another mouse. Nothing works. I got into the BIOS it wanted a password so I typed my password, that didn't work. the motherboard was replaced 2 years ago so I thought the tecchnician must have put a password there. I phoned him but he saied he never does that. He said then that I had top emove the Jumper in the tower, something about the CYMOS and reset BIOS. that's all too much for me, the most technical thing I can do in the tower is re4place the ram module, I wouldn't attempt anything else.
Many thanks,
Josey.
Member with 84 posts.

22-Oct-2011, 07:59 PM #8
Also, I want to get rid of the password to log into this laptop. I'll never put a log in password again, cause if I didn't have that on the desktop maybe I could have done a sys res., using keystrokes if I could have got into Windows. It does boot up to windows but I have to put in a password. I live alone so no one else can access my computers.
Josey.
Computer Specs

22-Oct-2011, 09:17 PM #9
Boot in normal mode at the log in screen press the tab key twice. If that does not work, press Ctrl Alt Delete twice.

YOUR password for Windows is absolutely nothing to do with the BIOS setup Password.
Try leaving it blank.

Last edited by Macboatmaster; 22-Oct-2011 at 09:23 PM..
Member with 84 posts.

23-Oct-2011, 06:45 PM #10
I've tried both but didn't work. I think I'll have to call a technician.
Thank you for your time,
Josey.
Computer Specs

23-Oct-2011, 08:21 PM #11
Well do not let us give up yet.
We have only just started.

IF THE ONLY PROBLEM was the mouse not working, then either Tab Tab would have got you from the Windows elcome screen to the log on screen and you could have typed the password.
OR Ctrl Alt delete twice would have got you to the Admin log on screen.

As you say neither of those work and I hope you did notice that you have to key them TWICE then there is another problem.

Just because your CD drive is not recognised in Windows, does not mean we cannnot get a boot from CD. However we may need to get to BIOS to enable that.

TRY this
Make the Recovery Console CD
Here is the link to the ISO file
http://www.thecomput...om/files/rc.iso

Here is the link to the burn with instructions
http://sites.google....-console-for-xp

The first link is the download, save it on another computer.
The second link is a special burning program that will burn that saved file which is known as an ISO image.

Follow the instructions on that second link.
Make the CD, insert it in the computer, boot it and see if it boots to the CD.
Follow the screens, selecting REPAIR suing recovery console PRESS R.
If you get in to the Console and at the command prompt
Type
chkdsk C: /r

See how you go on.
If we need to get into BIOS to get a boot from CD we may be able to.
Member with 84 posts.

24-Oct-2011, 07:06 PM #12
I've had a slight personal health issue, and have to go to hospital today. Just waiting to go but thought there may be a post from you so thought I should come and acknowledge. I hope this thread will stay here and I will come back and follow your instructions. This may be a day or so if that is okay with you. I would like to try the console part but I will need your instructions. I did press the tab key twice then Ctrl alt delete.I agree that it is something more than just the mouse or maybe I deleted the wrong filter in the registry. I'm really angry with myself because I am very careful when I ever go to the registry to manually delete any left over keys in the registry. I know technicians tell folk to stay away from the registry but I've always felt I knew what I was doing.....clearly not this time.
thank you for your patience.
I will come back as soon as I am back home, hopefully not too long maybe a day or two.
Regards,
Josey
Computer Specs

24-Oct-2011, 08:05 PM #13
Thank you for responding, especially in view of the health issue.
All the best.
Will wait for your reply and guide you through if we can get in to the Recovery Console

Sorry to labour the point but is if the tab key does not work
Ctrl Alt together then Delete whilst holding down Ctrl Alt - TWICE

For XP Professional, press CTRL + ALT + DEL twice at the Welcome Screen and input your Administrator password in the classic logon window that appears.
Member with 84 posts.

29-Oct-2011, 01:32 AM #14
Hi Everyone,

I arrived home from hospital today. I could throttle my sister, she decided to use my computer (desktop), She tried my laptop but I had a password on that & couldn't get in, so she came to the desktop only to find my problem. She meant well but thought she would surprise me by taking it to a technician and he re installed Windows XP Home. Thank goodness I saved all my personal data. I have it on an external hard drive.

I am confused though because when I went looking for "Windows Explorer" all my programs are there in the "tree". Does that sound like a clean install to you?. My sister said he was able to save "My Documents", and my favourites, but favourites are in Windows Explorer. Darn, how do I get them out of there into IE8. Also, what I call my cleaning programs like Ccleaner, Malwarebytes etc., but if I drag the icon onto my desktop they don't seem to be installed, so should I just leave all that alone and reinstall everything.

PLUS.....when I turned the computer on a message said I had no Raid Controller or something like that so I tried to let it find a driver but no luck, I looked in device manager, there are the yellow marks there under "Other
devices", with Raid Controller listed and Video Controller VGA both with the yellow marks. grrr. I can't ring the tech guy cause it's Saturday here and hhe is not answering his phone, don't think he works week ends. My CD drive WAS working before but my DVD burner was not, now the DVD drive is working and in my computer is called D drive when it should be E drive. What a mess, is that to do with my optical drive D & E?.

Thank you for any help,
Josey.
Computer Specs

29-Oct-2011, 12:00 PM #15
There is only one course of action you should now take.
That is to take it back to the Technician, who your sister took it to and explain the siutation to him.
Either he has carried out a repair install of Windows, see this
Method 2: Repair install of Windows XP by starting your computer from the Windows XP CD

Note If Windows XP was preinstalled on your computer, you may need the installation CD to reinstall. Contact your computer manufacturer to make sure that you have the installation CD for a repair installation.

To reinstall Windows XP by starting your computer from the Windows XP CD, follow these steps:
  1. Insert the Windows XP CD into your computer's CD drive or DVD drive, and then restart your computer.
  2. When you receive the "Press any key to boot from CD" message on the screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
  3. The following message on the Welcome to Setup screen will appear: This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer: To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER. To repair a Windows XP installation by using Recovery Console, press R. To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
  4. Press ENTER to set up Windows XP.
  5. On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
  6. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.
  7. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to reinstall Windows XP. After you repair Windows XP, you may have to reactivate your copy of Windows XP. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
OR he has saved your data and then carried out a reinstall of Windows., and then copied your data back to the drive.

A third possibility is that he has carried out a parallel installation of XP
Microsoft gives instructions which follow (Method 4).
"To install Windows XP to a new folder (also known as a parallel installation), follow these steps:
  1. Start your computer from the Windows XP CD (or boot disks). To do this, insert the Windows XP CD into your CD or DVD drive, and then restart your computer.
  2. When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message appears on the screen, press any key to start the computer from the Windows XP CD.
  3. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to begin Windows XP Setup.
  4. Read the Microsoft Software License Terms, and then press F8.
  5. Select the partition in which you want to install Windows XP, and then press ENTER.
  6. Select the Leave the current file system intact (no changes) option, and then press ENTER to continue.
  7. Press ESC to install to a different folder. If the Setup program detects another operating system folder, it prompts you to type the name for the new folder after the backslash (\), for example, \WINXP. If there are no other operating systems detected, the Setup program automatically names the folder \Windows. For more information about how to change the folder name on new installations, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 315242 How to designate the original folder name for a reinstallation of Windows XP
  8. Press ENTER to continue.
  9. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Windows XP Setup."
This effectively install Windows again but leaves the original installation intact. You then copy the data to the new install ie: Original C:\Windows1 and the original was on C:\Windows.

In view of the warnings on Device Manager etc, you may safely presume that the task of reinstallation however it was done, was not completed satisfactorily and you should as I said refer back to him.
Any attempt to now put matters right will only serve to weaken your case - requiring him to do so.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!