Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Changing default email

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
05-Nov-2011, 07:43 PM #1
Changing default email
How do i remove outlook express email services? I've tried going into the control panel's add/remove programs then to add/remove windows components and unchecked the outlook express box. Every time i go onto craigslist and respond to an add the outlook express box keeps popping up rather than the yahoo email that i always use. How do i make yahoo email my default email? Am i not doing something right? I dont use outlook express and never intend to use it. Is there another way to keep this from happening?
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

05-Nov-2011, 08:01 PM #2
The Yahoo toolbar should set Yahoo as your default e-mail handler.

http://us.toolbar.yahoo.com/
Computer Specs

06-Nov-2011, 05:01 AM #3
Changing default email
I installed the yahoo tool bar as suggested to change my default email from outlook express (that i never use) to yahoo but i'm still having trouble. Installing the yahoo tool bar did'nt help. When i respond to ads on craigslist the outlook express box still pops up rather than yahoo. Is it possible to delete outlook express?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
06-Nov-2011, 05:05 AM #4
Deleting it will not stop it from being the mail handler. You would then just get an error if it couldn't be found.

Look for settings in the Yahoo bar for default mail.
Computer Specs

06-Nov-2011, 07:24 AM #5
Changing default email
I've looked all thru the yahoo tool bar and have'nt been able to locate where you can make yahoo my default email. Thank you for trying to help me though....looks like i'll be taking the unit over to the geek squad........

06-Nov-2011, 10:30 AM #6
http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mai...ttings-10.html

If you take the computer to the Geek Squad, you'll be paying them to install the Yahoo Toolbar again for you. You can't remove Outlook Express. Even if you did, as Elvandil said you'd get errors. Yahoo is web-based e-mail. It's not an e-mail program. Windows is designed to open e-mail programs to handle e-mail links.
SUEOHIO   (SUE) SUEOHIO is offline SUEOHIO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,682 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Nov-2011, 11:00 AM #7
Ive never used outlook express either.As stated you cant remove it entirely as its part of the xp operating system.As a last resort try this.Go to start, then all programs, and see if its listed on there if so delete it.You can also try going to the control panel, add/remove programs, and look for set program access and defaults,then look under custom,choose a default email program, then uncheck enable access to this program for outlook express.The only good news with outlook express is that its not on vista or windows 7 at all.

06-Nov-2011, 11:05 AM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUEOHIO View Post
Ive never used outlook express either.As stated you cant remove it entirely as its part of the xp operating system.As a last resort try this.Go to start, then all programs, and see if its listed on there if so delete it.You can also try going to the control panel, add/remove programs, and look for set program access and defaults,then look under custom,choose a default email program, then uncheck enable access to this program for outlook express.The only good news with outlook express is that its not on vista or windows 7 at all.
This advice will not help the poster at all.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,156 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Nov-2011, 12:49 PM #9
As far as I can remember, a "IMAP" type of email can not be set as the default?

On my XP machine, within IE tools, options and on the Program tab, the only listed programs are: MSN, OE and Windows Live Mail.

06-Nov-2011, 01:06 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
As far as I can remember, a "IMAP" type of email can not be set as the default?

On my XP machine, within IE tools, options and on the Program tab, the only listed programs are: MSN, OE and Windows Live Mail.
That's why the poster needs the Yahoo toolbar. It makes Yahoo the default e-mail handler.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
default, default email, email, remove

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!