Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows Delayed Write Failed for my HDD

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Nov-2011, 07:12 PM #1
Windows Delayed Write Failed for my HDD
every time I try to drag and drop files into my HDD, i get a balloon message saying "Windows Delayed Write Failed for G:" etc etc. i use my external as a dungeon for keeping my music, so iTunes reads off of my external just fine. every time i try to drag or export files into the HDD (500GB iomega), the external is rendered useless unless i replug it back in.

i've tried a few quick fixes.

has no effect. any ideas?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
22-Nov-2011, 08:12 PM #2
It's possible that the disk is failing. Make sure that all your files are backed up (as usual - all hard drives will fail).

The fact that the cache settings are not even available is worrying. Setting the drive for "quick removal" would stop the cache from being used and possibly stop the write failure errors.

Check the drive with HDTune using the error scanner (Uncheck "quick") and pay special attention to its SMART (Self-Monitoring And Reporting Technology) status. The drive's internal monitor is the first to detect problems.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
delayed, external, harddrive, windows, write

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!