Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

error loading operating system - windows xp/me

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
09-Dec-2011, 05:59 AM #1
error loading operating system - windows xp/me
Hi,

So, I have a Hp Pavillion 9715 desktop with windows xp professional and basically yesterday I turned on my computer and all it would do would go to the black screen saying "error loading operating system"
Now I'm not really sure what tp do I was going to reinstall window xp, but i dont how to do this as i don't have the cd and the computer wont even power up in safe mode. I then realised that my computer's operating system is windows millenium edition, which i havs the recovery cd for. i could use this, but id lose all my data. i was wondering if there was a way to save or transfer all my files to a different hard drive. Or if there was a way to use the recovery cd to repair everything without me losing all my personal files, or would this not work because it would be windows me that is reinstalled and not xp?
If anyone at all could help me id be so grateful, its quite annoying/upsetting. Thanks
SUEOHIO   (SUE) SUEOHIO is offline SUEOHIO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,690 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Dec-2011, 10:42 AM #2
It sounds like the hard drive is failing or has failed.If you can take the harddrive out you can try using a usb sata/ide connector to try to salvage whats on there.That has been a lifesaver for me when my drives are failing.Ive only used that type of connector with laptop harddrives but im going to assume it will work on a desktop harddrive also.Since the computer is that old since it came with windows ME which was a horrid operating system you have to decide if its even worth putting a new harddrive in it.If it ran windows xp i hope it has enough ram to do so properly.XP needs at least 512mbs or more.Me didnt have to have a lot of ram.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
09-Dec-2011, 02:52 PM #3
Thanks
but im pretty sure the hard drives gone. I tried to use the hp pavillion recovery windows me cd, it then said recovery was aborted and that no hard drive was detected i hope i can still get my files back, ill try your method, though are you sure i can use a sata/ida connector on a desktop?

Thank you
SUEOHIO   (SUE) SUEOHIO is offline SUEOHIO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,690 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Dec-2011, 03:37 PM #4
Im pretty sure you can use it with a desktop hardrive i dont see why not.Its connected the same way. If the hard drive isnt detected thats pretty much a bad sign the drive has had it.The one i have i bought for my laptops which is all i have.There might be something similar for a desktop hard drive if what i mentioned is for laptops only.Either or it has connections whether its an IDE or a SATA drive.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
hp pavillion, recovery, windows me, windows xp

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!