Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Trojans in Win xp SP3????

(!)

Member with 518 posts.

Experience: Advanced
12-Dec-2011, 01:33 PM #1
Exclamation Trojans in Win xp SP3????
I picked up a cadaver yesterday - it had suffered a hard drive crash as it turned out, so I pulled a spare drive and redid Windows xp. Since it is a Dell Optiplex I used the Dell Install which includes SP2, but not SP3 - this is Win XP Home Edition.

I updated to fully current standards and installed the usual load of goods I put on things before letting them go back to work. As a last thought, I did a Quick Scan with Malwarebytes. Surprise! Trojan Dropper detected. Restarted and did a Full scan and found 6 more instances, all of them in some way related to the Svc Pack files in the Windows directory [several different repositories].

So I would like to take the extra precaution of deleting all the unnecessary download/ backup folders.

I'm passing this on 'as info' - I had heard of things like this in the past but this is the first time I've dealt with it personally.
Member with 5,647 posts.

12-Dec-2011, 02:29 PM #2
Was it Trojan Dropper BCM by any chance? MBAM 'found' three instances of it today after I had updated definitions and ran a full scan. Two of them were service pack related and I allowed them to be quarantined/deleted and nothing nasty has happened yet!
Member with 518 posts.

Experience: Advanced
12-Dec-2011, 02:46 PM #3
affirmative. But wait: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index...owtopic=101835
unconfirmed but could be false positive!
Member with 5,647 posts.

12-Dec-2011, 03:24 PM #4
Seem likely to be FP's because none of my other security apps have reacted recently. If the loss of those files presents any problems there's always System Restore!

PS. I don't have any bluetooth devices so a restore may not be necessary
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
sp2, sp3, trojan

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!