Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: VGAsave Driver

(!)

Junior Member with 13 posts.

Experience: Beginner
18-Dec-2011, 07:36 PM #1
Solved: VGAsave Driver
Well to explain it to you my computer is stuck on Vgasave Driver an i can't change it back

its like this because i had a loop at the windows thing when you turn on your computer,
so my brother's friend booting me back up with windows xp professional (old one was Window Xp Home Edition)

Things i tried but not sure
install the Chipset (failed)

i am not computer smart -0-
Computer Specs
Member with 34 posts.

Experience: quasi-literate?
18-Dec-2011, 11:01 PM #2
I'd suggest re-downloading the latest driver for your video device and installing them, it should make Vgasave stop acting as the video.

If you need help figuring out what driver to download (and don't have a cd) there's a TechGuy tool you can use, http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe
It'll say what video device you have after "Graphics Card: "

After you know what card you have, and get drivers for it, you can try installing them.

If that doesn't work, you can try uninstalling display adapter in safe mode then restarting. It should ask you to install a driver if you do that, but you should find out and download the correct driver first.

How to start in safe mode to remove Vgasave:
Restart computer, as soon as the screen is black start pressing F8 repeatedly. When boot menu shows up, choose "Safe Mode". When it asks if you want to work in Safe Mode, say Yes.

In Safe Mode, go to Start, Run and type "devmgmt.msc" without quotes (then click OK), when Device Manager opens click the [+] next to Display Adapters, and right click and uninstall whatever is listed in Display Adapters (probably Vgasave).

Restart and let Windows load normally, it should detect your video and ask you to install correct drivers (which you downloaded before doing this).

Last edited by trentemon; 18-Dec-2011 at 11:18 PM.. Reason: more info
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
18-Dec-2011, 11:30 PM #3
Open you boot.ini file and remove the /basevideo switch.

You can also edit the boot.ini file in the system settings: Start > Run > sysdm.cpl

Or, run msconfig and do the same thing by removing the VGA option (uncheck the Base Video box).

19-Dec-2011, 12:31 PM #4
yea i think the main problem is kinda the the video controllers/Ethernet controller are missing ?

idk really but here some ss

but i don't think i got the disk for them

/// i tried the Boot.ini file but nothing is checked

still really confused x.x
Computer Specs

19-Dec-2011, 01:09 PM #5
There is no display adapter installed. Do you know what one you have?

Have you been to the manufacturer's site for drivers? You need one for the display as well as the network card.

What "chipset" driver did you install and from where?

Try uninstalling all 3 of those devices and rebooting. It probably won't make any difference, but it may tell us something.

Also, check to be sure that your graphics card is plugged in to its slot (if any) and maybe even remove it and put it back to be sure all the connections are made and that it is seated in the slot. Check all add-on cards.

What do you mean "booting you back up"? Did the machine fail to boot? If so, what was done to make it boot? Is it activated?

19-Dec-2011, 04:00 PM #6
-not really idk which display adapter i have x.x

-yes i have been ''Dell'' http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/...1/DriversHome/

Service Tag: GSHN1G1

-i downloaded the chipset from the dell website

-i have install the 3 things but when i got on again it could not find new ones for them

- can you tell me how i can see where my graphic card is in my desktop? xD

- bootin it up with a cd, with windows xp on it so it reset because the day before it happen i updated an log out for the rest of the day an then the next day i turned it on it got stuck on a endless loop stuck at the windows xp screen when you turn it on (had to boot it with a different cd cause i lost the original cd to computer )

Avtivated? meaning its working?
Computer Specs

19-Dec-2011, 04:13 PM #7
CD's are not normally needed to boot a computer. You just turn it on and it boots up. So I still don't understand why the CD was needed.

You installd the drives for your network card and the graphics driver? Were there any errors when you did that?

19-Dec-2011, 05:10 PM #8
oh i mean about the booting up/// windows would not acutally let me pass the it look like this

and keep looping on an on so my brother downloaded another windows xp on a Cd to fix the looping x.x

acutally i don't know which to download from the network + Video tab x.x

19-Dec-2011, 07:09 PM #9
i got Ethernet controller now

but i down most of the ones under the Video tab but none would work x.x and the AMD-Bios? idk wat that one is XD
Computer Specs

19-Dec-2011, 09:38 PM #10
It doesn't look like the ethernet controller is installed.

OK. You go to the Dell page and put in your number. Then, on the drivers page, you click the Operating System drop-down and choose Windows XP.

You go down to Network and click it so it opens and then download the Broadcom driver, R161008.EXE, to your desktop. Click it and install it.

No chipset driver is listed there, so none is needed. Windows supplies the chipset driver.

Then you do the same with the Intel Video driver, R205648.EXE. Click and install.

Where did you get that driver you said was for the "chipset"?

Try installing those and then let me know how it comes out. Also, open up the Network Adapters section in Device Manager. What is already installed there?

Don't do anything with the BIOS files. Where are you getting AMD from? You don't have an AMD board and there is nothing like that on the Dell page. Don't go anywhere else. All you need is on that one Dell page.

============================================

Quote:
Avtivated? meaning its working?
"Activated" means the machine has exchanged data with Microsoft and the product key verified. If he installed XP Pro on your machine, you may need a new Windows license. Right-click My Computer, Properties, and scroll to the bottom to see if your copy is activated.

Last edited by Elvandil; 19-Dec-2011 at 09:59 PM..

20-Dec-2011, 12:04 AM #11
oh its cause its the same picture from top XD

New one

i opened up network adapters in the device manager too

i tried to install the intel driver thing an it gave is error -0-
also the other ones too x.x

do i have to go to the intel page to find the drivers?

the chipset is in the tab in the thing next to the thing x.x

yes, my windows is Activated
Computer Specs

20-Dec-2011, 05:33 PM #12
No, all drivers that you need will be at the Dell site if that is the hardware you got with the machine. Non-Dell drivers may not even work since the hardware may be modified.

Quote:
the chipset is in the tab in the thing next to the thing x.x
What "tab" in what "thing" next to what "thing"? Is it even possible to be less clear than that?

Where did you get the chipset driver, what was it, and how did you know that it was for your machine?

20-Dec-2011, 06:35 PM #13
the tab [red box]

has the chip set for the computer

so do i need a difference thing for the video controller on a cd to install ?

Computer Specs

20-Dec-2011, 11:48 PM #14
No, that's only if you actually have a CD. Windows doesn't know beforehand where you are getting the driver.

Is this a desktop? If it is, see if you can see any witing on the graphics card (if you can open it up) about what card you have. If not, try PCWizard, click on the display icon and each of the things in the right-pane to see if it can identify your card. It is possible that the model came with a different card later in the year.

Also, try right-clicking on those devices and choose Update, giving it permission when it asks to search the internet.

21-Dec-2011, 03:48 PM #15
i opened my desktop but i have no clue where the graphic card would be x.x
its either build in or its just like gone -0-

im pretty sure i got one cause i had the ability to use duel monitors -0-

i tried pc wizard but it keeps not responding

its not leting me update from the internet x.x

my computer is the same one like this x.x looks the same (not my video) Optiplex 330

Last edited by PopRock; 21-Dec-2011 at 04:43 PM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!