Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

XP Winlogon.exe unable to locate component comdlg32.dll (No Install Cd)

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

Experience: Beginner
21-Dec-2011, 10:29 PM #1
Unhappy XP Winlogon.exe Error Unable to locate component comdlg32.dll (No Install Cd)
Hello, after scouring the Forum and internet for hours, some Techguy posts come close, but cannot find any real useful info.
Since my PC APPROX 7 YRS OLD, I installed addtl 512 MB memory stick, was working ok for a day or so, but kept auto restarting a couple times, then shut down completely, got only errors below that was due to a DLL FILE MISSING Error, I cannot log in or get into Win XP at all without a XP bootable installation disk, that I do not have.

I have tried all Safe mode screens but no avail, also tried Hiren's Boot cd Diagnostic and test options but did not really tell me much but that drives are ok. I cannot access Recover, restore or access Registry at all on my Orig XP. Only can access hard drives, internet and Mini Windows XP thru Hiren cd. Microsoft Support is only useful if have old Install CD.
Also tried :http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/xp_exe_fix.zip, but did show a problem or any info useful info.

I used another old Win XP PC to burn this Hiren Boot Disc program to boot and reload my Win XP on the failed PC. I am able to get only a Bare and Mini Win XP version copy, So able to ACCESS MY HARD DRIVES AND FILES and save a few important ones etc, but could not find any tutorials or direct info on website on how to safely restore my Win XP pc back to normal access, or repair or add the missing DLL files below, without losing my programs and files etc, or can anyone please advise any how to info, or alternative ideas info ? Many thanks for your time and Expertise!!!

WIN XP ERRORS:

windows xp service pack 3 DLL msgina.dll failed to load

windows xp service pack 3 winlogon.exe - unable to locate component comdlg32.dll was not found

Last edited by coolvibe; 21-Dec-2011 at 10:37 PM..
Member with 44,354 posts.

22-Dec-2011, 03:02 AM #2
Since you have no WinXP CD, a question comes to mind.....Is this a legal copy of WinXP?
Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

22-Dec-2011, 03:10 AM #3
The PC is an old computer over 7 yrs old, just got it As is, from a business that went under, but it never really gave me probs until now, so I have this issue of no install cd, that is a real pain....Trying to figure it out.

22-Dec-2011, 03:12 AM #4
Since you can get into Safe Mode, have you tried the System Restore?
Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

22-Dec-2011, 03:28 AM #5
Yes I have tried that,I can only get to Safe Mode Screen options, but neither of them can open, get same errors. Searching online, I see many have suggested restore is the way to go, but no options to Restore even in the OS Choices Menu.
Also tried to go to last known Configuration, to no avail. Tks

22-Dec-2011, 03:38 AM #6
Can you get into Safe Mode with Command Prompt? I think that there is a DOS command for System Restore..
Computer Specs
Member with 6 posts.

22-Dec-2011, 12:59 PM #7
No, tried that option, still eventually get same errors.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!