Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Blue Screens after using recovery disc

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 11 posts.

Experience: Beginner
07-Jan-2012, 01:47 AM #1
Unhappy Blue Screens after using recovery disc
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and need some help with my computer.
I'm not sure what info will be needed to help solve the problem but in the meantime I will supply what I can.

My computer is a Toshiba A215-S4747
Processor: AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-56 1.79 GHz
Ram: 4 GB
The BIOS is latest version from the Toshiba support site

I recently recovered my toshiba laptop with the restore discs and it has been plagued by blue screens ever since. Updates do not solve the problem. I updated my drivers, did a memory and hard drive check with no errors.

The blue screens are mainly stop 0x000007F (0x00000008 ......
No files are associated with it and it occurs at random

I have had a few page_fault_in_non_page errors and blue screens indicating driver problems.

I'm really confused about how I can fix it, since it really don't want to have to pay for someone to fix it.
Member with 118 posts.

07-Jan-2012, 02:26 AM #2
I read something about using a Vista Install DVD and booting the computer up with it and choosing the Repair Your Computer Option. Then you can start a command prompt window and type in a command to start the System File Checker program (also known as SFC scan)

I was researching a Blue Screen error for a computer I am trying to fix for a relative (which is a Windows XP computer). I recently read a webpage related to Vista or Windows 7 SFC scan and here is a link that might help below:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ompt-boot.html

Also, there is a way to do a Windows Repair install ation (also known as an In-place Upgrade) on a Windows XP computer. Maybe the same option exists for a Vista Installation

If you can borrow a Friend or Relative's Vista Installation DVD then there are several programs that will scan and repair many startup errors. Many computer manufacturers include the same Vista DVD Repair options that can be accessed by pressing a certain Function key at bootup

Perhaps another member of this site that is much more familier with Vista can let you know if the option to do a In-place Upgrade/Repair Installation is possible

I am on the site tonight because I am in the middle of trying to repair my Brother-in-law's computer so I will try to post any helpful ideas, links or solutions when I get a chance
Member with 118 posts.

07-Jan-2012, 02:41 AM #3
If you can still boot into regular Windows Vista then try steps at link below explaining how to use System File Checker Tool (SFC) or try to use Vista Install DVD and boot to it to access SFC program that way:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
07-Jan-2012, 03:28 AM #4
First of all, if you have a recovery partition and an OEM version of Windows 7, using a "Friend or Relative's Vista Installation DVD" may well destroy the proprietary MBR and make recovery from the partition impossible. You would then need to buy disks from the manufacturer to get recovery back.

Secondly, following the advice at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833 for running SFC, if done from the boot DVD, will only result in the program checking the files on the DVD and not the system drive. The syntax is incorrect.

In any case, since all system files in 7 are hard-linked, it is almost impossible for one to become corrupted, so SFC will be a waste of time.

How did you "update" your drivers?

Did you get any blue scrrens before restoring? Why did you restore?
Member with 118 posts.

07-Jan-2012, 04:12 AM #5
Ahh good point Elvandil--I forgot to consider the possible hidden OS restore partition and Master Boot Record (MBR) proprietary boot code and should only post help when I am not exhausted and have more time to make sure my help is right. I do not want to make another members situation worse with hastely considered advice

Also, partitioning a hard drive with a hidden Restore Partition is risky since it can break the ability to run a future OS restore. I found this out with the hidden Dell Restore partition and had to use the DSRFIX tool to repair the boot code that Dell uses for the 3 partition setup of a few years back (diagnostic,main and recovery partitions) I know Niko0eyes has a Toshiba but I'll post the DSRFIX link that has helped me several times below for other members that might later be reading this.

The bootable DSRFIX ISO CD maker is a great 5 minute fix to restore the Dell MBR code if the Blue Bar at top of the Dell boot screen does not come up when starting computer up and it just sits at a blinking cursor screen. I also used DSRFIX after manually restoring partitions to a new hard drive with an added extra 4th partition. I just made sure to create the 3 Dell partitions sizes in order and then a 4th partition on the new larger drive. Then I copied individual Ghost images of each existing Diagnostic, Main and Restore partitons from old hard drive and copied them one by one in previous same order to new hard drive. Then I ran DSRFIX and next was able to start the Restore process to Factory Condition with the CTRL-F11 keyboard combo as explained in link below

http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/fixes.shtml

Last edited by mocks1; 07-Jan-2012 at 04:21 AM..
Computer Specs

07-Jan-2012, 04:13 AM #6
Ok thank you I will try and post an update.
Computer Specs

07-Jan-2012, 04:26 AM #7
Thanks everyone I will try suggestions.
I used the restore discs I bought from the Toshiba website for my laptop.
I actually didn't know about the hard drive restore feature, so I didn't use it.

This is basically why I restored it. I was given the laptop, just the laptop prety much new with no restore discs. I upgraded the ram from 1 to 4 gb and updated the BIOS to recognize the new ram. All went well until I did an instalation for zune software about 3 months later.Something went wrong with a net framework and no updates were possible for anything. So a friend of my mom's bf restored it for me but they only had xp as an operating system. All was good for a year, but the computer just didn't run like it did before the net framework problem. I finally bought the restore disc and installed it two days ago, twice and still having issues. Well, my mom and her bf split up and I really don't want to pay to have it fixed if I am able to do it myself. I really need the laptop for my school work. Luckily, I have some time until my spring semester starts at college to fiddle with it.
Computer Specs

07-Jan-2012, 04:29 AM #8
Since you just restored, there is no reason to assume faulty files.

Did you have problems before? Why did you restore? How did you "update" the driver (drivers rarely need updating and doing it with online updaters often causes damage and incorrect or faulty drivers to be installed)?

Did you get any errors during the recovery process?

If you have the disks, then you have no worries about the recovery partition.

Try recovery again. If there are any errors, report what they are. Then install only drivers from the recovery disks, Windows Update, or directly from the Toshiba site. If you still have problems, try testing the hard drive.

Free Hard Drive Testing Applications:

HD Tune
Ariolic Disk Scanner (Checks disk for read errors)
Manufacturer's Tests
TachTech
BleepingComputer

Then RAM.

Memory Testing (including bootable CD's and floppies):

Memtest86
MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
Roadkil's RAM Test
Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)

If you have enough memory sticks, you can test them by removing one at a time and see if the problem disappears.

If you are running Vista or 7, tap F8 on boot and choose the memory diagnostic, or if you can boot up, go to Start > Search and type:

mdsched.exe

Choose to run a memory diagnostic on next boot. Or, you can boot from the DVD and run it from there.

Last edited by Elvandil; 07-Jan-2012 at 04:44 AM..
Computer Specs

07-Jan-2012, 04:43 AM #9
@Elvandil The process completed but it just didn't seem to do it correctly. Once it finished and loaded a message box popped up saying applyinf final configurations, do not interupt. It did this, restarted and showed up again 3 times for both times I restored it.
Blue screens ocurred about two minutes after first restore, about an hour after the second attempt.
I updated my driver from the toshiba support sight and manufactuers websites for some drivers hoping to resolve the issue.

I have also gotten this stop message since I originally posted
0x0000008E 0xC0000005 0x92102ADC 0x99AC51E0 0x00000000
The basic message has occured about four times now.
I did a little research and it seems to be virus/driver related, but I can't understand how that is possible from a clean restore.
Computer Specs

07-Jan-2012, 05:03 AM #10
It's not always virus-related, obviously. I'd do the RAM and hard drive tests next, just to be sure we don't have a hardware problem. RAM first because all other tests use RAM.
Computer Specs

07-Jan-2012, 11:08 AM #11
@Elvandil Ok so I checked the ram and hard drive with no errors detected using the system checks and some of the ones you have provided.
I should also note tha last time I tried a system recovery failed. The screen read that the disc was not the correct version although it worked two times previously. Also updates will not work. The system will not install the Microsoft Net. framework 3.5 security pack 2 which I think was the problem for why I had the xp installation. I'm just really stumped.
Computer Specs

07-Jan-2012, 07:41 PM #12
I didn't think about doing this before, but I am using my restore disc to completely erase the hard disc and then try a restore again. I will take about another 6 hours so I will get back to everyone to let you know if that solves the problem. I think somehow, something was still lingering on my hard discs despite the recovery formatting.
Computer Specs

08-Jan-2012, 11:36 AM #13
@Elvandil the restore worked this time, but I am still having blue screens. The hard drive and ram checked out. Not sure what else to do here.
Computer Specs

10-Jan-2012, 04:01 PM #14
I found this post which helped with the problem. Hopefully, it can help someone else too. Turns out if more than 3gb of ram is installed during a recover it can cause all sorts or problems. Once updates are installed it should fix the problem.

http://www.microcenter.com/random_ac...n_the_lab.html
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
0x0000007f, bsod, toshiba a215-s4747

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!