Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows XP Pro standby greyed out

(!)

Junior Member with 7 posts.

17-Jan-2012, 11:42 AM #1
Unhappy Windows XP Pro standby greyed out
I have a Dell E5500 that is running Windows XP Professional. When the computer was purchased the Standby and Hibernate functions worked good. I have been working on this for a few weeks now and have followed every step I can find in every forum.
I did now own this computer when it was first bought so i'm not sure what was done to cause these systems to fail but I know they worked when it was new. This computer came with SP3 installed already.
I used the original OEM CD and did a repair/update thinking this would fix it but it did not. Everything is updated including Display adapter drivers as far as I can tell. I went to the Dell sites to download the newest drivers available. I flashed the bios to make sure I was running the latest bios. When I try to turn the power options on using the command prompt I get a message saying that its not supported. I have plenty of room on my hard drive and I used a third party defragment tool to make sure I had large blocks of room available on my hard disk.
When I click on display adapters in the device manager I see two Mobil Intel(4) Series Express Chipset Family. This is running driver 6.14.10.5338. If I click on Computer in Device Manager I see ACPI Multiprocessor PC.
Whats really strange is at one point I disabled most of my services and all my start up programs and I had standby and the hibernate tab was available in the power options. This lasted for less then 5 minutes before standby grayed out and the hibernate tab disappeared again and I have not been able to recreate this. In my work my computer is unplugged a lot so this feature is very helpful. If anyone has any new suggestions I would gladly try them.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

17-Jan-2012, 11:58 AM #2
This is almost always a problem with the video or chipset drivers. Try reinstalling both.

17-Jan-2012, 12:12 PM #3
I have tried my best to make sure I have the newest driver for each one. I used both the Intel site and the Dell site to look up the newest drivers for my computer. I downloaded and install the newest Video driver and the newest chipset driver from Dell. My video is a S3 graphic supersavage/Ixc 1179 I believe.

17-Jan-2012, 12:17 PM #4
Have you tried actually reinstalling the drivers? Only download drivers from Dell for your specific model. Enter your service tag number on their support site to ensure you're downloading the right ones. Then reinstall them.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is online now flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,575 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Jan-2012, 12:23 PM #5
If you've disabled most of the services, you're going to have all kinds of problems.

Go to Start - Run - MSCONFIG - OK - Services tab, then uncheck "Hide all Microsoft services", then click "Enable all" and make sure the entire list is checked, then click Apply - OK - Restart.

Very few services should be disabled.
The proper place to disable them is in Start - Run - SERVICES.MSC - OK.

----------------------------------------------------------

17-Jan-2012, 01:21 PM #6
I did re-enable all microsoft. I just did this as a test to see what happened. Now the computer is running with all services on and all startup programs except for the ones I know I don't need running on.

17-Jan-2012, 01:26 PM #7
Yes. I went to Dell and downloaded all the drivers it listed for my tag on my computer. (5dmzzk1) When I look at the chipset driver number it matches what the number for the newest driver on dell. I have tried this many times because it seems to be what solved most people issues.

17-Jan-2012, 02:36 PM #8
Yes, I know the version number is the same, and I know you already have drivers installed. Have you tried reinstalling both the chipset and video drivers?

If that doesn't work, then something was disabled that shouldn't have been, and it might have caused lasting damage. I don't have any other suggestions since it sounds like other significant system changes were made that can't be easily undone.

17-Jan-2012, 04:32 PM #9
I have un-installed and installed the chipset drivers. I downloaded the drivers for my computer listed under Video for the service tag for my computer but I can't find anything in my device mananger that looks like it would use this driver. Like I said I had it working at one point for a few minutes so I have to think it's fixable.
Thank you for all you help so far.
Jimmy

18-Jan-2012, 09:10 AM #10
Download the chipset driver executable, and run it. It goes through an installation routine. You don't install it through Device Manager.

18-Jan-2012, 05:08 PM #11
Ok. Thats what I did a few diffrent times.

07-Feb-2012, 08:57 AM #12
I finially got this problem fixed. I just started un-unstalling programs that I didn't need and didnt' know what they were. I figured most of the programs on my computer were free downloads or drivers that I could get again. Anyhow after one round of deletions the system is back to normal. I had read on someone elses blog that it was thier printer software that caused thier problem. I deleted all the printer software except for the printer I currently use as well as all the Apple Itunes software.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!