Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

It works under 'safe mode' - what do I do next?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 93 posts.

Experience: Was advanced, now ...HA!
03-Feb-2012, 08:41 PM #1
It works under 'safe mode' - what do I do next?
I have a Dell Vostro operating with XP. The other day, I started getting the "blue screen" with a message about "irql not less or equal..." I was able to run Driver Update software and update all my drivers, but I still kept getting the error; in fact, it started doing it after only about 5-10 minutes after booting.

I tried restoring to a week prior to when all the problems started, but that didn't work. I tried reloading a windows registry file with a backup from a week or so ago as well -- no difference. I ran a complete registry file "fix" software.. nada.

Now, the computer boots, runs for a little while and freezes completely -- it doesn't even go into the blue screen.

I am able to run it fine in safe mode with networking but I'm not sure what to do next. I researched this enough to know that it *probably* relates to a driver problem (although it sounds as though it could be just about anything). I uninstalled quite a few programs, but that didn't help.

In safe mode, I can still run my Driver Update and uninstall drivers (or go to the device manager) but I just don't know where to start! There are so many drivers -- how do I know which to uninstall? It would take about nine months to try each one individually, test the computer, then try another one.

Any suggestions as to how I should proceed? Is there anyway to know which driver is the culprit? Or should I remove everything, format the drive and reinstall windows, and start from scratch? Would that even be sure to work?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Barbara
Computer Specs
Member with 93 posts.

04-Feb-2012, 03:55 AM #2
Aha! I couldn't bear to wait for an answer so I started messing around. I had been ripping a ton of CDs lately, and formatting some, so I thought I'd start with my CD drives. I disabled the drives for both and my computer has been working perfectly in regular (not safe) mode, going on 6 hours now. Tomorrow, I'll enable one and test it, then the other if necessary. If I'm lucky, that will prove it's the drives or their drivers. I'm still under warranty for the computers, so if it's the drives, I'm home safe.

Wish me luck and I'll leave another post tomorrow to let you know how things turned out; perhaps my experience will help someone else in the future.
Computer Specs
Member with 93 posts.

04-Feb-2012, 02:33 PM #3
Drat! I spoke too soon! After running fine for about 16 hours, I got the same stinkin' blue screen of death! I'm so frustrated at this point I am pulling out what little hair I have left. I don't know how to proceed. If I knew a reliable computer tech company in the area, I'd turn the whole thing over to them, but so far I haven't found one close by.

ANY suggestions????
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
blue screen, crash, drivers, freeze, safe mode

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!