Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Must ALT-CTRL-DEL after boot to do anything

(!)

Member with 49 posts.

01-Mar-2012, 06:29 PM #1
Must ALT-CTRL-DEL after boot to do anything
I am working on a laptop (Dell Latitude E5400) in Windows XP. The original drive had a "quirk" where after booting in order to do anything you had to ALT-CTRL-DEL. You could then cancel the Task Manager and the laptop worked fine.

Well, it was an old drive so I rather then waste time with it I bought a new drive and started fresh. The problem followed me, but didn't show up until after I started doing Windows Updates.

All that is on the drive is Windows, the updates, the drivers, and a couple of free programs (defraggler, ccleaner, and Avira).

What I first noticed was that reinstalling the BIOS seemed to fix it, but that only lasted a couple of boot cycles.

Closer investigation has pointed out the following:
*I can use the mouse for movement but the selection feature is dead until I ALT-CTRL-DEL
*this is the same for both a USB mouse and the onboard mouse
*by using the keyboard Windows button and the arrow keys and Enter, I can still get to where I want to

So it appears that whatever the problem is it is targeting the slection feature of the mouse and it followed from one hard drive to another, one of which was formatted before Windows was insatalled.

I have ran Combofix and Avira and both came out clean. Could there be a virus in the hardware?

I have several other of these laptops and none present this problem.

I appreciate any help you may have.

Many thanks.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
alt-ctrl-del, dell, mouse click problem xp, virus, windows xp

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!