Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

xp briefcase, lost files

(!)

Member with 225 posts.

06-Mar-2012, 10:22 AM #1
xp briefcase, lost files
Moved some files into briefcase. Hit update, now they are gone. Searched the drive and nothing.

re: ms word 97

How do I recover them? where does ms word put a saved document; what is its extension?

Last edited by brookbend; 06-Mar-2012 at 10:45 AM..
Member with 2,536 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Mar-2012, 12:39 PM #2
Depending on the actual version, Microsoft Word files can have the native extension .doc or .docx
Microsoft Word puts a saved document in the location you choose in the "Save as" dialog-box, but the default location is usually your Documents folder.

If they've been deleted, you can try file-recovery software, but the likelyhood of deleted files being partially or totally overwritten with new data increases as you continue to use your PC before attempting to recover them. in other words, for the best chance of success, you must use file recovery software as soon as possible after losing the files. Some free file recovery apps are here: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/filere...y-programs.htm
Member with 225 posts.

06-Mar-2012, 01:08 PM #3
Thanx, but I checked all the obvious. And .asd, temp ~temp, etc etc. and some recovery software - nothing... only yesterday had the files.

No way to undo "update" or synch in briefcase?
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

06-Mar-2012, 01:37 PM #4
Where is the briefcase synced to? The files should still be in their original locations as well. Where did you save them?
Member with 225 posts.

06-Mar-2012, 04:10 PM #5
I moved files from a folder on my desktop to a folder in the briefcase. Then I updated them in the briefcase because some wouldn't open in the briefcase. Meantime, I had already deleted the orig folder to the recycle bin, and emptied it. I've got "Recuva" searching for all deleted files, right now. I never knew what i waa doin with synch'g. Kinda ignored it.

06-Mar-2012, 04:11 PM #6
A briefcase is just a reference to a file location. I don't see how you could have "moved" them to a briefcase. What did you sync it with? Why did you delete the only other copy before verifying sync worked?
Member with 225 posts.

06-Mar-2012, 04:17 PM #7
A briefcase is just a reference to a file location.
***all I know is my briefcases are orange icons which look like brieifcases. And inside them are folders.

I don't see how you could have "moved" them to a briefcase.
***Why not? Copy/paste or drag/drop.. whatever. That's how I always do it.

What did you sync it with?
***Nothing. I moved 'em and that's it. Then hit update.

Why did you delete the only other copy before verifying sync worked?
***You assume I know what synch'g is.

06-Mar-2012, 04:20 PM #8
What are you using Briefcase for if not to synchronize or share files/folders? It's long since been deprecated by Microsoft, so I would suggest not using it. It was never very reliable.

I assume you know what a "backup" is. I would suggest getting into a routine as soon as possible.
Member with 225 posts.

06-Mar-2012, 04:26 PM #9
What are you using Briefcase for if not to synchronize or share files/folders?
**it cleans up the desktop; i guess i'll have to use folders, instead. folders in folders.

I assume you know what a "backup" is.
** smart guy... yea.. believe it or not i have several very slick backup processes.. why didnt i use 'em ?? i have not lost more than 5 pages of data in 20 yrs.

why would update delete them?

you wouldn't want me flying the plane.

06-Mar-2012, 04:30 PM #10
If you have a backup of the files, then you don't need data recovery software. Restore from your last backup.

Briefcase is not at all the same thing as folders. It's a special, ancient application intended to be used to synchronize files between computers. A regular folder is a much better choice if your only goal is to have fewer icons on the desktop.
Member with 225 posts.

06-Mar-2012, 04:33 PM #11
Restore from your last backup.
**you're grasping for straws...[ but i hope i'm entertaining you.]

06-Mar-2012, 04:41 PM #12
You said you never lost data and have a good backup process. I was responding to that post.

Recuva is your best free option for data recovery. Otherwise you'll have to pay a lot of money to a professional data recovery company.
Member with 225 posts.

06-Mar-2012, 04:53 PM #13
we'll see what recuva is made of, shortly. thanx.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!