Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to DISABLE any & all Software installation?

(!)

Member with 60 posts.

18-Nov-2002, 10:48 AM #1
How to DISABLE any & all Software installation?
In Win XP Pro, does anyone know how to set a software or security policy that will have the effect of totally halting any and all software installation (unless first reversing said policy), including Internet downloads, shell extensions and the like?

Even as careful as I am and occasionally I'll download more than I bargained for. Last time it happened I ended up formatting and reinstalling. I looked around in the group policy editor, but only found items such as (a) disabling installs from removable media, or (b) disabling Windows Installer. If they were both invoked, that would not stop installing a little Internet program such as WinAmp or Yahoo Messenger...

Any advice will be appreciated.

Member with 3,054 posts.

18-Nov-2002, 11:04 AM #2
Re: How to DISABLE any & all Software installation?
Quote:
Originally posted by vynce:
In Win XP Pro, does anyone know how to set a software or security policy that will have the effect of totally halting any and all software installation (unless first reversing said policy), including Internet downloads, shell extensions and the like?

Even as careful as I am and occasionally I'll download more than I bargained for. Last time it happened I ended up formatting and reinstalling. I looked around in the group policy editor, but only found items such as (a) disabling installs from removable media, or (b) disabling Windows Installer. If they were both invoked, that would not stop installing a little Internet program such as WinAmp or Yahoo Messenger...

Any advice will be appreciated.

vynce,

If you're using IE as your browser just go Tools> Internet Options> Security Settings> Internet> Custom Level> and scroll down to the File Download entry and disable it.

That should accomplish totally halting any and all software installation

DS
Computer Specs
Member with 21,189 posts.

Experience: Disenfranchised American
18-Nov-2002, 11:11 AM #3
You are probably also logged on as an administrator. Set up another user account as just a plain jane user and edit the permissions for that user.
Member with 60 posts.

19-Nov-2002, 06:15 AM #4
Thanks for the GREAT suggestions. I have done as Dark Star suggested and shall see how that goes. I have a feeling, however that this actions will prohibit ANY file download rather than just software. If so, it may be problematic because I download a fair amount of files regularly (including software titles). I just want to prohibit INSTALLATIONs.

Rocn's idea is very reasonable too. But for a list of associated negatives, I don't want to create additional User accounts. Obviously, user group restrictions would be the most effective and efficient method.

Any other ideas are welcome...
Member with 60 posts.

19-Nov-2002, 07:11 PM #5
bump
Junior Member with 3 posts.

19-Nov-2002, 08:36 PM #6
Vynce, the way to do this is to use Group Policy. Bring up the Run command box and type 'gpedit.msc' and hit Enter.
Look under "Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Installer"...
->double-click on "Prohibit User Installs"
->choose "Enabled"
->Select "Prohibit User Installs" from the drop-down box.

I think that this will largely do what you want to do.
Junior Member with 3 posts.

19-Nov-2002, 08:43 PM #7
BTW, you likely need to reboot your computer for that type of change to take effect.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!