Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to delete remembered user name suggestions from drop down boxes (not passwords)

(!)

Member with 6 posts.

15-Apr-2012, 09:06 AM #1
Question How to delete remembered user name suggestions from drop down boxes (not passwords)
Everytime there is a drop down box for a user name I get a suggestion of an old account I used to have (without the password).

I would like to delete this suggestion from the drop down boxes.

I don't have any internet password stored. And there aren't any stored user names or passwords in my ''manage my network passwords'' - it's blank (under administrator and guest, there are no other users listed).

And this suggestion pops up on the drop down box for creating a new stored password - that is if I click ''add'' in my ''manage my network passwords'' and click the arrow down button. It also pops up in my gmail notifier drop down box (which is annoying and the reason I want to delete this suggestion). Always the suggestion, without the password.

I have also Googled this, and tried a suggestion on this forum from two years ago. But it didn't work. The suggestion from this forum I tried was:
type ''cmd'' in start-run, and then type ''net use * / d''. After that it said you should map the network drive again. Of course I have no idea on how to do that.

Please, please, help me delete this suggestion!
Ent   (Josiah) Ent is offline Ent is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,277 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Apr-2012, 01:20 AM #2
I assume you mean in Internet Explorer. Try this:
Open Internet Explorer.
Press Alt
Click "Delete Browsing History"
Check all relevant boxes. In particular, be sure to check "Cookies" and "Form Data".
Uncheck "Preserve Favourites Website data.
Click Delete.
Close and re-open IE.
Member with 6 posts.

16-Apr-2012, 03:36 PM #3
No, I mean in Windows (otherwise I delete my Internet data regularly), it appears in all drop down boxes for user names. It has to be stored in Windows somewhere. I have no idea where, I just know I didn't save it anywhere, and also it doesn't suggest any new user names I am currently using.

Thanks for trying to help!
Ent   (Josiah) Ent is offline Ent is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs

16-Apr-2012, 03:38 PM #4
Windows is big. Could you perhaps Post a Screenshot of which drop down you're referring to?
Member with 6 posts.

16-Apr-2012, 04:01 PM #5
This is the screen shot of it (I changed it and wrote ''user name'' on top of the user name). I also get the same suggestion with gmail notifier - even after reinstalling it. And holding the down arrow and pushing the delete button doesn't work.

Any suggestions?
Attached Files
File Type: rar user name suggestion.rar (23.6 KB, 73 views)
Computer Specs

16-Apr-2012, 04:09 PM #6
Is this what you're after then?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306541
Member with 6 posts.

16-Apr-2012, 04:17 PM #7
No, because I have no stored user names (you can see that on the second window, there are three open windows in my screenshot). So I have no stored user names (or passwords) to delete. I want to delete the suggestion from the drop down box. The link doesn't say anything about this.
Computer Specs

16-Apr-2012, 04:25 PM #8
Yes, I see your problem.
I'm not sure what to do with that to be honest. Personally I'd be trying to track down where it's stored and remove it manually, but that could be very prone to causing damage if you made a mistake.

Perhaps someone else can think of something I'm missing.
Member with 6 posts.

16-Apr-2012, 04:33 PM #9
Yes, I've looked into deleting Computer Management > System Tools > Local Users and Groups, but I don't think the problem is there, and it would cause damage, because I think everything is useful there.

I think I'll just have to install a new version of Windows.

Thank you for your time!
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 11,354 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Apr-2012, 06:47 PM #10
If you would post graphic files instead of the RAR file, then more of us will be able to see what you are asking about.

Go to http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_...g_a_Screenshot for instructions.
Member with 6 posts.

17-Apr-2012, 05:39 AM #11
Oh, sorry, it was too big otherwise. Here it is - http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/5...suggestion.png

You can see I have no stored user names and where the suggestion pops up. It also pops up while signing in to gmail notifier (drop down box) - same thing user name suggestion (without password suggestion) even after reinstalling it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
delete, drop down box, suggestion, user name

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!