Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer could not get internet connection

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 42 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Apr-2012, 06:22 PM #1
Computer could not get internet connection
Running Windows XP - in trying to get onto internet, received the following: Computer could not get an internet connection. Error: AC3001 0x84100118. Rebooted computer; rebooted modem; received same error message. Sending this from another computer. Any help? Thanks
Member with 44,945 posts.

21-Apr-2012, 11:39 PM #2
Are you hardwired into the internet, or wireless?
Computer Specs
Member with 44 posts.

Experience: green as grass lol
22-Apr-2012, 04:41 AM #3
click start
then click control panel
then double click system
then click on hardware tab at top of dialog box
then click on device manager
open every one of the + boxes
and look for any yellow or might be different colour question marks
if as i suspect, you have lost your ethanet plugin
to double check this, go back into control panel and double click on network connections
if the dialog box that opens has nothing inside it, then i'm afraid your computer is no longer internet ready
you have numerous choises now, if you know what you are doing, open up your computer and find the ethanet identity number
then on pc thats internet ready try to download the correct plugin for your pc, save to disc or removable drive and upload to your pc
if you dont know what you are doing, then you should take your pc to a pc repair shop and let them do it for you
to triple check this, go back into control panel and double click on the network setup wizard and run it, if it manages to set it up i'm totally wrong above, if it doesnt manage to set it up then you have your options above.
i hope this helps
regards
kol

Last edited by kolacz007; 22-Apr-2012 at 04:48 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 42 posts.

22-Apr-2012, 09:10 PM #4
ekim68 - computer is hardwired. I've checked both modem and router - both seem to be okay.

kol - I'll try your suggestions and post results soon

Thanks for your help
Computer Specs
Member with 42 posts.

22-Apr-2012, 09:28 PM #5
kol - I checked device manager and only yellow question mark was for my epson printer.

I then clicked on network connections and it indicated that Local Area Connection was connected.

The computer still will not let me onto internet - same error message as before.

Anything else I might try?
Thanks
Computer Specs
Member with 44 posts.

23-Apr-2012, 06:19 AM #6
hi m8
try changing your filters ( phone sockets ) just a mute point here, do you have more than one phone socket and is your router plugged into the main sockit? if not it should be
if all steps above are ok, it's possible that you either have a wireing problem, or your router may not be working properly
both the above can be solved by ringing up your isp ( internet service provider ) and "telling" them that thier equipment is faulty and you need replacement equipment ( ask for a complete set )
just an after thought here, in your taskbar bottom right hand side of screen, do you have an icon for the internet? it should have a red X through it, if yes, have you tried right clicking it and then clicking repair?
one more thing i can think of, ( do this first before you try to click repair ) turn off router, make yourself a cup of tea or coffee, wait 15 minutes, then turn router back on, if no joy then try the step above, if again no joy, ring your isp and ask for technical assistance.
i hope this helps
kol
Computer Specs
Member with 42 posts.

23-Apr-2012, 08:00 PM #7
Thanks kol......I called my ISP right after the problem started. They ran a check from their end and said I was getting a good signal. I have two computers - both on the same router. One computer works fine (the one I am writing this response on). I ran a hardware diagnostic on the problem computer - all phases passed except it indicated that I had no dial tone. I switched my router connections (the good computer and the bad one), and still could not get an internet connection on the bad one. I have high speed service thru my cable co, so don't really understand if the "no dial tone" means anything (as not using dial up service).

I have tried shutting down both modem and router, waiting, then rebooting. Nothing!

I do not have internet icon on taskbar. I have tried Windows internet connection repair, but didn't work.

Very perplexed as to solution to my problem. Any other thoughts?
Thanks
Computer Specs
Member with 44 posts.

24-Apr-2012, 04:37 AM #8
hi, i just want to check something,
"on your internet ready pc"
click start
then click control panel
then double click system
then click on hardware tab at top of dialog box
then click on device manager
open every one of the + boxes
and look for any yellow or might be different colour question marks
"tell me what you see please"
Computer Specs
Member with 42 posts.

24-Apr-2012, 08:48 PM #9
Hi....checked and found no question marks

Thanks
Computer Specs
Member with 44 posts.

24-Apr-2012, 09:33 PM #10
hi
sorry m8 i'm stumped, i can only suggest you take your pc to a shop and see if they can solve this mystery
regards
kol
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!