Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Which of these Startup Items can be unchecked?


(!)

sistafatti's Avatar
sistafatti sistafatti is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 273 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Experience: Some Days Smart - Other D
23-Apr-2012, 09:38 PM #1
Which of these Startup Items can be unchecked?
My wife's computer is really getting slow. I have unchecked some items in msconfig startup but am unsure of of some others. I know it is a log to ask but can someone look at the following list and give me some tips? I haven't included the entire description following the program, hopefully just enough to give you an idea.

Adobe Arm (C:\ProgramFiles\commonfiles\Adobe\Arm....)
APSDaemon (C:\ProgramFiles\commonfiles\Apple\AppleApplication)
qttask (c:\ProgramFiles\Quicktim e\qttask.exe"-atboottime)
CenturyLink TouchPoint Agent (c:\ProgramFiles\CenturyLink\QuickCare\bin\sprtcmnd...)
dumprep O -k (%systemroot%system32\dumprep 0 -k)
Sprtcmd (c:\ProgramFiles\Quickcare\bin\sprtcmd.exe)
NvCPl (RUNDLL32.EXEc:\WINDOWS\system32\nvcpl)
RunDLL32 (Rundll32.exenvMCtray.dll.nvtasbar Init -login)
nwiz (c:\ProgramFiles\NVIDIA Corporation\nview\nwiz.exe)
Jusched (c:\ProgramFiles\commonFiles\Java\Javaupdate\jusched...)
Ctfmon (c:\WINDOWS\system32\ctf,pm\.exe)
Google Toolbar Notifier (c:\ProgramFiles\Google\Google Toolbar Notifier\Google.....)
Windows Search (c:\PROGRA~WI459E~1.EXE./startup
Elvandil's Avatar
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Vermont
Experience: "Been through the mill."
23-Apr-2012, 10:23 PM #2
It would be safer to use s startup manager. There is a reference for startup items at the bottom.

DO NOT change any services in msconfig. Use the services console.

Free startup managers (startup references at end):

Remove Startup Programs Buddy
Ashampoo Startup Tuner
Startup Control Panel
MZ Startup Manager
Startup Control Panel (Exe version for Vista)
Emsa Startup Manager
EM Startup Manager
WheresJames Startup Manager

Startup Programs Reference
Startup Database (bleepingcomputer)
__________________
Microsoft MVP
異驚の界世 ípןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ɟo sɹǝpuoʍ ǝɥʇ ɟo ǝuo sı ǝpoɔıun ʞuıɥʇ ı
sistafatti's Avatar
sistafatti sistafatti is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 273 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Experience: Some Days Smart - Other D
23-Apr-2012, 11:05 PM #3
What are undesirable programs
Most of the links provided state that the software will list startup programs so you can remove "unecessary" programs but how do you know which ones are unecessary? The bottom link (bleeping computer) did list a few undesirable and some to keep but then if you don't uncheck them from msconfig how do you keep them from running on startup?

Also, you said not to change anything in msconfig but to use the services console. I don't know what that is. Can you point me in the right direction?
Phantom010's Avatar
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 31,680 posts.
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cyberspace
Experience: Advanced
23-Apr-2012, 11:07 PM #4
None of them are necessary.
Elvandil's Avatar
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Vermont
Experience: "Been through the mill."
24-Apr-2012, 02:31 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sistafatti View Post
Most of the links provided state that the software will list startup programs so you can remove "unecessary" programs but how do you know which ones are unecessary? The bottom link (bleeping computer) did list a few undesirable and some to keep but then if you don't uncheck them from msconfig how do you keep them from running on startup?

Also, you said not to change anything in msconfig but to use the services console. I don't know what that is. Can you point me in the right direction?
"Unnecessary" may be a poor choice of words. It is up to you to decide which are necessary beyond those needed to run Windows. That is why I gave you links to startup programs so you could look them up and decide.

You control services by going to Control Panel > Admin Tools > Services, or going to the Run box: services.msc (Just FYI: Services do not use CPU or "resources" unless they are performing a function. You will gain next to nothing, unless short of RAM, by disabling any of them. You may lose functionality instead. Black Viper's "tweaks" are useless. Testing with benchmarking software showed no difference whatsoever on my machine with all services started or the maximum disabled according to his advice, again, if you have plenty of RAM, which is the only thing disabling services will save you.)
flavallee's Avatar
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 55,498 posts.
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Hillsborough county, Florida
Experience: Advanced
24-Apr-2012, 09:12 AM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sistafatti View Post
My wife's computer is really getting slow. I have unchecked some items in msconfig startup but am unsure of of some others. I know it is a log to ask but can someone look at the following list and give me some tips? I haven't included the entire description following the program, hopefully just enough to give you an idea.

Adobe Arm (C:\ProgramFiles\commonfiles\Adobe\Arm....)
APSDaemon (C:\ProgramFiles\commonfiles\Apple\AppleApplication)
qttask (c:\ProgramFiles\Quicktim e\qttask.exe"-atboottime)
CenturyLink TouchPoint Agent (c:\ProgramFiles\CenturyLink\QuickCare\bin\sprtcmnd...)
dumprep O -k (%systemroot%system32\dumprep 0 -k)
Sprtcmd (c:\ProgramFiles\Quickcare\bin\sprtcmd.exe)
NvCPl (RUNDLL32.EXEc:\WINDOWS\system32\nvcpl)
RunDLL32 (Rundll32.exenvMCtray.dll.nvtasbar Init -login)
nwiz (c:\ProgramFiles\NVIDIA Corporation\nview\nwiz.exe)
Jusched (c:\ProgramFiles\commonFiles\Java\Javaupdate\jusched...)
Ctfmon (c:\WINDOWS\system32\ctf,pm\.exe)
Google Toolbar Notifier (c:\ProgramFiles\Google\Google Toolbar Notifier\Google.....)
Windows Search (c:\PROGRA~WI459E~1.EXE./startup
sistafatti:

The startup entries that I've highlighted in bold text can be unchecked.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Go to Start - Run - MSCONFIG - OK - Services tab.

Uncheck "Hide all Microsoft services".

Make sure the ENTIRE list is checked.

Click Apply - OK.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Go to Start - Run - SERVICES.MSC - OK.

If the "startup type" in any entry is set on Disabled, double-click it to open its properties window.

Change it to Manual, then click Apply - OK.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Restart the computer.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by flavallee; 24-Apr-2012 at 09:18 AM..
flavallee's Avatar
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 55,498 posts.
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Hillsborough county, Florida
Experience: Advanced
24-Apr-2012, 09:17 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvandil View Post
"Unnecessary" may be a poor choice of words. It is up to you to decide which are necessary beyond those needed to run Windows. That is why I gave you links to startup programs so you could look them up and decide.

You control services by going to Control Panel > Admin Tools > Services, or going to the Run box: services.msc (Just FYI: Services do not use CPU or "resources" unless they are performing a function. You will gain next to nothing, unless short of RAM, by disabling any of them. You may lose functionality instead. Black Viper's "tweaks" are useless. Testing with benchmarking software showed no difference whatsoever on my machine with all services started or the maximum disabled according to his advice, again, if you have plenty of RAM, which is the only thing disabling services will save you.)
One of the things that I disagree with at the BlackViper site is disabling services.

It's safer setting those services to Manual so they can start, if needed.

------------------------------------------------------------
Phantom010's Avatar
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 31,680 posts.
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cyberspace
Experience: Advanced
24-Apr-2012, 09:24 AM #8
I personally do not touch services anymore, unless I'm 100% sure. Windows doesn't do a very good job at starting services set to Manual when default is Automatic.
flavallee's Avatar
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 55,498 posts.
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Hillsborough county, Florida
Experience: Advanced
24-Apr-2012, 09:35 AM #9
I have my own way of dealing with services in Windows XP.

I start the computer and wait for it to completely settle down before I go into the services list.

If an entry is set on Manual and shows a status of "started", I change it to Automatic.

If an entry is set on Automatic and does NOT show a status of "started", I change it to Manual.

The end result is usually about 1/3 of them set on Automatic and 2/3's of them set on Manual.

------------------------------------------------------------
Old Rich's Avatar
Old Rich has a Photo Album
Member with 10,249 posts.
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Houston, Texas
Experience: Learning
24-Apr-2012, 10:03 AM #10
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.


(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


WELCOME
You Are Using: Server ID
Trusted Website Back to the Top ↑