Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: STOP:0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x8052ACA3, 0xEC2687B0, 0x00000000)

(!)

Member with 11 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Apr-2012, 09:51 AM #1
Solved: STOP:0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x8052ACA3, 0xEC2687B0, 0x00000000)
Hi TGuys,

Can you please help me.

I have a friend with a DELL PC (XP - SP2). No warranty, no support, nothing. He came to me for help.
The problem is he can get into safe mode, but when he tries to login to computer (i.e. normal mode) the computer just reboots.
I disabled automatic restart, and the screen displayed this stop code.

STOP:0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x8052ACA3, 0xEC2687B0, 0x00000000).

The numbers don't change every time the computer reboots (i.e. they are constant).

I ran chkdsk /r, no disk problems. I ran avast in safe mode, no viruses. I booted from CD, memtest86, no memory errors.

" I'M STUCK!"

Please help. Thank you.

P.S.
I did search through this forum, and did find similar problems but with no solution other than re-format the hard disk. If i have to i will re-format the HDD but i want to leave that as an "absolute" last option. Thanks again for any help.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 10,683 posts.

27-Apr-2012, 10:25 AM #2
Welcome to Tech Support Guy

Normally that does indicate a memory issue
If you are competant, to do so, despite the fact that you ran Memtest and you do need to run that for the complete cycle of 5 or even 6 passes, each pass having 8 tests., then open the case and if there are two ram sticks take one out try it again and if still no luck, swop them over.

Occasionally it can be caused by faulty hardware other than ram, or by a driver.

If it has only just occurred, check the ram first and also, although in Safe Mode, some drivers do not load of course, check Device Manager for any warnings on drivers.

Graphics driver are favourite, so try VGA mode rather than Safe Mode, if that works it is the graphics more than likely.

Also SP3 may CURE this as the SP incorporated many patches and fixes and included some for greater compatability of XP with certain drivers.

and in any case you should be running SP3 for XP unless of course it is a 64 bit O/S
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is online now flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,336 posts.

Experience: Advanced
27-Apr-2012, 10:59 AM #3
What's the model name and model number of that Dell?

What's the 7-character service tag/express service code on the sticker?

------------------------------------------------------------

Considering how outdated Windows XP is and what unknown issues that computer has, a clean reinstall and getting a fresh start is probably the best option.

------------------------------------------------------------
Member with 11 posts.

27-Apr-2012, 11:16 AM #4
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies so far. I will probably try and install SP3 to see if that helps, I will keep you informed.
Also, the model number is DELL optiflex 620 with 1GB of ram and 120gb HDD. It was working fine one day and the
next BANG! here's a BSOD for ya!

Take care.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
27-Apr-2012, 11:25 AM #5
Was any filename mentioned with that error message?

Any changes made to drivers lately?

Try uninstalling the graphics driver.
Member with 11 posts.

27-Apr-2012, 11:32 AM #6
Hi Elvandil,

No. Just the usual BSOD with text saying if this is the first time, contact your administrator, etc. etc.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
27-Apr-2012, 11:49 AM #7
Well, uninstall the graphics driver and reboot to normal mode (hopefully). See if whatever driver is installed by default helps this situation.

If not graphics, network card would be my second guess.

But I agree with Macboatmaster that you ought to let memtest run, all night if possible. It moves itself and then tests the area where it was located before, so you want to give it time both to move around and to detect those memory errors that only happen from time to time.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is online now flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,336 posts.

Experience: Advanced
27-Apr-2012, 02:10 PM #8
You didn't mention which of the 4 models of the Dell OptiPlex GX620 that you're working on.

Here is the on-line user's guide for all 4 models.

---------------------------------------------------------
Member with 11 posts.

30-Apr-2012, 02:04 PM #9
Hi Tguys,

I just finished installing SP3 and still no joy. I also uninstalled the graphics before SP3, still no joy. Next step is to open the case and test each memory stick. Just to recap safe mode still works but not normal mode.

I'll keep you guys informed of my status. Cheers.
Computer Specs

30-Apr-2012, 02:19 PM #10
Did you try
Quote:
so try VGA mode rather than Safe Mode,

Also

Do your graphics connect as shown at 9.
Or do you have a separate card

Although a Dell Optiplex 620 I/O plate, may not be yours as you have not answered the query from my colleague Flavallee in his post 8.

Last edited by Macboatmaster; 30-Apr-2012 at 02:27 PM..
Member with 11 posts.

01-May-2012, 10:03 AM #11
Hi TGuys,

Yes, I tried VGA mode by pressing F8 menu. Nothing. Works in safe mode but not in normal mode. Same BSOD.
My profile says I have an intermediate skillset, I actually have an advanced diploma and 12+ years of I.T. experience. I dont want to sound pretentious or anything, but I dont answer questions I already tried or believe that there is no point to the question. So please forgive me.

Thank You. And again, please forgive me.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,020 posts.

01-May-2012, 11:43 AM #12
Hopefully you've tried the obvious and simple.
System Restore.
Last Known Good Configuration.
MSCONFIG>BootINI tab>uncheck Safeboot (if checked).

Other than those, best guess would be a bad Memory stick or slot.
Pull both sticks and try one at a time in the primary slot (should be the one closest to the processor) and see if it boots.
Member with 11 posts.

01-May-2012, 11:59 AM #13
Hi throoper,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I tried L.K.G. config. and MSCONFIG.
Still no joy. I'll keep you informed about the memory slots.

Take care.
Computer Specs

01-May-2012, 01:28 PM #14
I agree with my colleague throoper reagrding the memory and indeed I mentioned this before
Quote:
then open the case and if there are two ram sticks take one out try it again and if still no luck, swop them over.
Also, you will of course know that just because memtest DOES not report an error, does not 100% certainly mean that there is NOT.
Memtest stresses the ram, by writing data to the ram in certain configurations and then goes back to see if that same data is still there.
That is why it is vital to run the full series of at least 6 passes with 8 tests on each.
It is also BEST to run the memtest on individual sticks if possible.

Although the physical test is good, it is important, when using this to ensure the ram is also tested to its full. Not by simply checking on minimum use that the one stick does not cause a crash.

Conversely because Memtest, tests not only the actual physical ram sticks, but all memory on the computer that can be tested, a failure on memtest does not necessarily indicate an actual error on a ram stick.

It may depending on the sytem and the ability of memtest to do so, indicate a fault or error on graphics ram if the card has dedicated ram, OR indeed processor memory.

With reference to the quote below from your last reply:

Quote:
My profile says I have an intermediate skillset, I actually have an advanced diploma and 12+ years of I.T. experience. I dont want to sound pretentious or anything, but I dont answer questions I already tried or believe that there is no point to the question. So please forgive me.
I regret to inform you that I do not work with people who do not answer my questions, for whatever reason, and indeed whatever their experience.

Therefore my assistance has now finished.

Except and I am not suggesting it is the cause of the problem, but this was ONE of the reasons why I recommended your upgrade to SP3
Quote:
Support for Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2) will end on July 13, 2010. If you are running Windows XP SP2 after support ends, you will not receive security updates for Windows.
and if you chose to obtain these updates manually, then you will know that they were, (not only the security updates but all windows updates), since that date, written ONLY to cater for SP3 and installing them on a system that did not have the numerous file, registry etc amendments introduced with SP3, was recognised as risky, due to the incomptabaility of the two systems, from the aspect of the update changes.

Last edited by Macboatmaster; 01-May-2012 at 05:54 PM..
Member with 11 posts.

02-May-2012, 03:34 AM #15
Hi Tguys,

Here is a puzzler. I (temporarily) installed a 2nd copy of windows xp with SP3 and all the drivers. Guess what, it works in normal mode. The only problem is I will have to delete this copy because it is my own copy and its not activated.

So. If the 2nd installation works, what is causing the problem with the 1st?

Cheers.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!