Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

New XP install, constant reboot

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-May-2012, 11:21 PM #1
Unhappy New XP install, constant reboot
I've made a fresh install on a sata drive which worked just fine and dandy. (new motherboard, video, PSU, RAM.) However, it stops at "Loading Operating System," and reboots. Ad naseum.

I've looked at http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000387.htm and before I nuke another drive for a system drive, I'd like to know if there's something I can do with the repair console, and getting some stuff off the other drive.

I've gone into the repair console, and did a chkdsk /p /r. Reboot, still enters reboot loop.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
15-May-2012, 12:52 AM #2
chkdsk /p /r is not a legal command. It simply executes chkdsk /p. If you want a drive check and recovery of any bad sectors, you need to use chkdsk /r.

You can use a bootable CD or USB stick to get your files,

It had to have rebooted during setup. Did those reboots work all right?

What was the problem that started all this?

Parted Magic disk partitioning, PC repair, and file recovery tool (Bootable CD or USB image)
If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

This CD (or key) contains many useful tools. You can partition, recover files, recover lost partitions, make disk images (by several different methods), transfer files between media, scan for viruses (It can serve as an Alternative Trusted Platform for search and elimination of rootkits and bootkits), examine and benchmark hardware, access the internet, and much more.
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

15-May-2012, 01:15 AM #3
I've done just a chkdsk /r as well. same result.

from the start:

My machine had suffered a spike from a blackout/whatever. I tried to turn it on, and no-go. I've replaced everything except the hard drives. Motherboard, ram, psu (twice, one was doa), cpu fan, cables, cpu, and video. I've upgraded from a ddr2 system to a ddr3.

New motherboard. New install. I now have a Gigabyte GA-970-d3 for a motherboard, memory is a samsung mv-3v4g3/us stick. Made sure that was in the right slot. :/ I've tried installing on two different sata drives. Both were installed during the surge Incident, although it seems a little nuts for them to be affected as well. Both aren't that old and worked just fine.

The reboots just started rebooting and rebooting and rebooting...
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

15-May-2012, 09:55 AM #4
And just to be thorough, I've done an install with a quick format, and with a long format. Same nutty result. I'm attaching only one drive at a time.

At this point, I'm dreading it, but I think I'll try getting a new hard drive, although I don't know. Two hard drives with the same result above...

The only difference that I can see from all the times I've installed XP from the same CD (CD looks pristine) is that in the past, I've booted from an EIDE drive rather than a sata. However, XP sees the SATA drives enough to install.

Could it be some weird motherboard driver issue maybe, or is that just muddying the issue?

Thank you so much for your quick reply before. Have to leave for work soon.
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

15-May-2012, 02:41 PM #5
On cell and still at work.

Was thinking, if both drives act the same and cd looks good, and in virus infections the windows files are damaged or missing, could a bad dvd burner be at fault?
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

15-May-2012, 09:25 PM #6
Came home and got the machine to move forward to Windows splash screen.

I went into the console, and deleted the partition.

Exited console, rebooted.

Did the full format and install.

It finally moved on. And now I have a new challenge:

IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

sigh. I'll do what it says to deal with the BIOS and see if there are shadowing and cache options...

I've a suspicion my motherboard is too freaky for XP and the included drivers aren't making the grade. Le sigh.

But I'm closer
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

15-May-2012, 10:07 PM #7
Question: is there a way to stealth the MB driver in through the repair console for the installation to find it?
Computer Specs
Member with 4,218 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-May-2012, 10:18 PM #8
Go into the Bios and change the Sata mode to IDE/PATA/Legacy then try the install again.
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

16-May-2012, 12:40 AM #9
Poking and done. Scored the IRGL BSOD again.

I'm digging the part that says, "If this is a new installation(yes), ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might neeed."

Uh, how am I supposed to apply said updates...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!