Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: xp pro sp3 generic ethernet controller?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

Experience: Advanced
13-Jun-2012, 05:13 PM #1
Solved: xp pro sp3 generic ethernet controller?
hello all, i have somewhat of a nubish question.

i am running win xp pro sp3, on this type of machine -

mobo - m2n4 SLI duel core athlon +5000 cpu
4g duel channel ddr2
cards - 1 pci-e ati radeon x1650 gpu
integrated Nvidia chipset including ethernet 'nforce networking controller and enumerator.

recently, i re-installed windows. just windows, no formatting. i was having a problem with
an ASIO driver conflicting with my realtek driver ( i have no idea why, it just started out of nowhere ).
after the re-install, everything works fine ( still minor problem with ASIO, but nothing serious ).
however, in my system / device manager, under ?Other Devices, it lists the following -
"ethernet controller" and -
"unknown device"

i am not so concerned about the unknown device as that could be anything,
however, i have noticed that although i have the correct ethernet driver for this mobo,
i get considerably slower download speeds than i did before the re-install.
the old windows install is still on the drive, i have not been able to remove it - just a note*
i dont have a lot of bandwidth, but i was cruising along at around 300+kb/s, now, i am lucky
to see 150kbs.

i am wondering, is there a generic ethernet controller that comes with win xp sp3 that i am missing?
i have run all updates, etc, and have not found much info on this topic for this version of the OS.

thanks in advance for any advice
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,165 posts.

13-Jun-2012, 05:24 PM #2
did you install the motherboard chipset from the PC manufacturers website or the motherboard website if self-built
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

13-Jun-2012, 05:34 PM #3
i installed the mobo chipset direct from the asus website, it is a self built machine. no manufacturer.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,165 posts.

13-Jun-2012, 05:45 PM #4
right click on the device with a yellow!
Properties
Click on the Details Tab
Under Property - drop down
Select hardware ids
Right click and select all.
Then right click again and select copy.
Copy and paste that here.

The Hardware ID's. VEN & DEV. Look them up here.
http://www.pcidatabase.com/
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

13-Jun-2012, 07:10 PM #5
PCI\VEN_1737&DEV_1032&SUBSYS_00241737&REV_10
PCI\VEN_1737&DEV_1032&SUBSYS_00241737
PCI\VEN_1737&DEV_1032&CC_020000
PCI\VEN_1737&DEV_1032&CC_0200

these are the hardware id's listed.

i couldnt find anything related to these in the search field's on http://www.pcidatabase.com/ , but then again im a nub and put the whole string in and....was probably doing it wrong :/
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
13-Jun-2012, 07:23 PM #6
You should have formatted the drive with the old Windows installation in order to remove it and give you all that space to use. Is the new one on the same drive as the old? Are they intertwined?
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

13-Jun-2012, 07:37 PM #7
i understand that, and yes, they are on the same drive. i do not know enough about operating systems to know whether or not they are inter-twined, or rely on each other in some way. i tried deleting it with unlocker and it would not allow the action.

the reason i did not reformat is because i am a musician with projects that i am currently working on, for a live show i have been booked to play in September, and have no media (external drives) to back up all of the things that go along with that. i am also a graphic designer, so between the 2, i have a 500g hd with about 68g of space left and no media to back it up with before a re-format.
i should add that even if i had the means to back up the drive, re-installing all of the music software is time consuming and i have a deadline to meet ;/
Computer Specs

13-Jun-2012, 08:02 PM #8
If you reinstalled Windows, didn't you still need to reinstall your programs?

Not trying to get off track here, but just thought this was worth some discussion for the next time you want to do something like this. But I suppose you can cross that bridge when you come to it. Come here and get some good ideas.

Are all 4 of those ID's from the ethernet card?
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

13-Jun-2012, 08:08 PM #9
oooh wait, i do have a 100g drive i could format and use as my main drive, SLAVE my 500g, and use that as a work around possibly until i can re-format the larger drive?
Computer Specs

13-Jun-2012, 08:10 PM #10
I think THIS is your driver.

(There are no "slaves" with SATA drives. There are secondary, backups, and so on, but only IDE has slaves with 2 connectors on one cable.)
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

13-Jun-2012, 08:11 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvandil View Post
If you reinstalled Windows, didn't you still need to reinstall your programs?

Not trying to get off track here, but just thought this was worth some discussion for the next time you want to do something like this. But I suppose you can cross that bridge when you come to it. Come here and get some good ideas.

Are all 4 of those ID's from the ethernet card?
Yes and no, some of the instruments that i use had to be re-installed, and some common software, others no, they ran just fine (i kept them all in their same directories when i moved them)?

and yes, all 4 of those id's were listed under that 1 device.
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

13-Jun-2012, 08:12 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvandil View Post
I think THIS is your driver.

(There are no "slaves" with SATA drives. There are secondary, backups, and so on, but only IDE has slaves with 2 connectors on one cable.)
i am not using SATA drives, my board IS SATA ready, but i am using regular IDE drives.
Computer Specs

13-Jun-2012, 08:12 PM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by babar104 View Post
oooh wait, i do have a 100g drive i could format and use as my main drive, SLAVE my 500g, and use that as a work around possibly until i can re-format the larger drive?
If you could reinstall and make things cleaner, it would probably benefit you in the future, but that's up to you.

If you have an extra drive, that would be a good place to keep a system image for when your main drive fails and you need to replace it. You could restore the image and have everything back in less than an hour.
Computer Specs

13-Jun-2012, 08:13 PM #14
Quote:
i am not using SATA drives, my board IS SATA ready, but i am using regular IDE drives.
OK. So you do have "slaves". But the drive doesn't need to be connected as a slave. It would work just the same if it were master.
Computer Specs

13-Jun-2012, 08:19 PM #15
Quote:
Yes and no, some of the instruments that i use had to be re-installed, and some common software, others no, they ran just fine (i kept them all in their same directories when i moved them)?

and yes, all 4 of those id's were listed under that 1 device.
Complex programs usually need to be reinstalled because they need their registry entries and not all their files are in Program Files. But with some simple "standalone" programs, you can get lucky and just need to make a new shortcut. So your experience is what usually happens.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!