Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Memory addresses changing in Windows XP

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
15-Jun-2012, 04:43 AM #1
Memory addresses changing in Windows XP
This might be a tough question to answer and I'm not really sure how to pose the question but I'll explain what I know in the hopes that someone has a solution...

I use an emulator (the PCSX2) to play PS2 games on my PC running Windows XP. It's a 32gig FAT partition on my iMac and runs Windows beautifully. I use a memory editor (Tsearch or MHS) to play around with addresses in some games and change them etc. to achieve some interesting things and over time I've compiled a huge list of codes (addresses) like this.

But every so often, usually after I install a new piece of software or do a Windows update the addresses change - it's like the memory has shifted slightly out of sync from what it was before, perhaps this is a registry thing? Not sure but it's a real pain as I have to then manually convert the codes one by one to the new state. Sometimes it will shift by just a few values, other times by a lot more, so for instance an address that was 05143104 is now 050C3104.

It's not the memory editor that is doing this as it just displays the current memory (which has changed location for some unknown reason).

Does anyone know why this happens? Or how I can configure Windows to change back to the original memory configuration? If I could do this it would save me having to manually convert every code each time the memory updates to a new state.

Any help would be appreciated.
Member with 131 posts.

Experience: Advanced
15-Jun-2012, 05:20 AM #2
It probably changes after an update due to the size in memory of new/updated system files. If you know (or can calculate) the offset you could write a script to adjust your current memory codes by the offset. Might take a while to get down and figure out but once you've got it right then all you would have to do is change the offset in the script each time the memory is offset, and rerun the script.
Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
15-Jun-2012, 05:39 AM #3
Thanks for your prompt response

I know what the offset is as I have to change each address in my memory editor by that offset every time... actually it just happened again recently by an offset of 20,000 bytes so the old address (example) was 050C3104 now it's 050E3104.

But do you know how to write such a script to change the memory locations? I assume I would use CMD to do this... but I'm not a programmer so I wouldn't know how to do it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
memory, pscx2, windows xp

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!