Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Flickering Windows Installer - Preparing To Install

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 11 posts.

Experience: Beginner
18-Jun-2012, 02:59 PM #1
Flickering Windows Installer - Preparing To Install
Within the last two weeks, I was getting a popup regarding the installation of Jasc Photo. In order for this to go away, initially, I used Task Manager to stop the task. After a few days, the popup would appear randomly & flicker. It would not go away, & it flickered to quickly for Task Manager to be of any service.
Somehow (pardon my ignorance, but I do not recall how), I was able to uninstall Jasc (came with my Dell computer, rarely [if ever] used).
The next day, the Windows Installer started to flicker (preparing to install). I've Googled the situation, tried several things from various websites, but nothing.
Last night, a website suggested checking computer management. Under Applications, I fould a list of yellow triangle warnings. The most recent was this:

The description for the Event ID ( 1001 ) in Source ( MsiInstaller ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE = flag to retrieve this descpription; see Help and Support for details. The following informationis part of the event: {78C496B9-5A6B-4692-8C2e-AFFFC34E4961 }, PaintShopProStudio, {D2D7B4BF-6CCA-11D5-8B3F-00105A9846E9}, (NULL), (NULL),,.

I am guessing Jasc did not completely uninstall, but I can not find the program anywhere.
The flickering is a major pain, & I'm afraid something is seriously wrong with our computer. I should note, we have four accounts on our computer (my wife, my two eldest children, & myself). This is only occuring in my account, though my wife mentioned it flickered briefly this morning in her account.
I am a complete loss. I am not the most tech savvy, but have a sorta basic understanding.
Any & all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you-
Member with 11,749 posts.

18-Jun-2012, 03:41 PM #2
Howdy,

Take a look in Startup and see if it is there, if so uncheck

Selective Startup
  • You can go Start>>Run type msconfig click OK
  • In the new window click the Startup tab
  • Find it in the list and uncheck it
  • It will give an option to Restart PC
  • On startup you should receive a message
  • You have chosen Selective startup
  • Click the box don't show me again and click yes/OK

If Run is not there:

Right click on an empty place on the bottom task bar and choose Properties then Start Menu tab.....then Customize button
.look down the list for Run Command and put a check beside it
Click OK

Now when you click the Start button you should have run in the menu
Computer Specs
Member with 11 posts.

18-Jun-2012, 05:53 PM #3
Jasc is not listed there.
Or was I to look for something other than Jasc?
Computer Specs
Member with 269 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
19-Jun-2012, 06:50 AM #4
How old is the computer? original installation of xp? Make/model of computer? Desktop or Laptop?
Computer Specs
Member with 11 posts.

19-Jun-2012, 10:21 AM #5
Computer is about 5-6 years old, a Dell Dimension desktop. I have not reinstalled XP, so I make the presumption it is original.
Computer Specs
Member with 269 posts.

19-Jun-2012, 10:25 AM #6
Any Dell branded XP cd of the same flavor will work to reinstall xp if it comes to that.

In the search thing type JASC and the full name of the program (it was a Dell freebie). Search will look for any left overs.

OR you could try a system restore to before things went amuck. Then if the computer is working ok, we can try another way to uninstall the program.
Computer Specs
Member with 11 posts.

19-Jun-2012, 10:27 AM #7
I tried to do a system restore to the beginning of June 2012, & was not allowed.
I've searched a couple different ways to find any lingering Jasc particles, & nothing is showing up, other than the management application warning.
My wife informed me this morning she is getting the flickers in her account now, but not to the level I am.
Forgive the imprecise nature of my replies, I am at work &, of course, my computer issues are at home...
Computer Specs
Member with 269 posts.

19-Jun-2012, 10:48 AM #8
Another possiblity is IF you have the XP cd, to run SFC /scannow from the START-run command.
Otherwise try for another older restore point.

Is you hard drive full or nearly so?

We also may need to run a drive fitness test, to make sure its not failing.

Also, what model Dimension is it? model is on ring around the power on/off button.
Computer Specs
Member with 11 posts.

19-Jun-2012, 10:58 AM #9
Hard drive was about 60%+ full last time I checked.
I believe we have the XP CD, but I'll have to check.
I'll get the exact model when I'm home at lunch...
Thanks for all your help...
Computer Specs
Member with 269 posts.

19-Jun-2012, 11:15 AM #10
Maybe even to be extra safe, you ought to save documents, pictures and important stuff that you could POSSIBLY loose if a worst case thing happened.
Its not if a computer crashes its WHEN it does.. They all do, if the installation is as old as I think it could be, you are very lucky to have got this far with no serious issues.
Computer Specs
Member with 11 posts.

19-Jun-2012, 11:59 AM #11
I backed everything up on an external hard drive last night.
Thanks...
I'll be leaving for lunch soon, I'll get the model number & reply when I return...
Computer Specs
Member with 11 posts.

19-Jun-2012, 01:15 PM #12
Dell Dimension E520 Model
Computer Specs
Member with 269 posts.

19-Jun-2012, 02:08 PM #13
Just to make sure the hard drive isnt failing, go here http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolso.../tophddiag.htm and find a manufacture's test of the hard drive in your computer.

Once you are pretty sure its not the hard drive failing, if you have the Dell XP cd, we may try sfc /scannow
or something else if anyone else has ideas.

There may be a restore partition on your computer's hard drive also, to go back to factory day one type of thing. Thus the documents and pictures you already saved come into play. OR if the computer came with a Dell branded XP cd.. same thing.

FYI here http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...M_EN/index.htm is the online manual for your Dell computer. You might download and save that.

Also, have you updated any drivers for the video? and is the video on board or a seperate video card?

Also search for paint shop (you tried JASC) in the search..
If the rest of Windows is not flickering, its probably the reminants of that program somehow messing things up. OR a complete reinstall if you have a cd for paint shop pro.

Do you have flickering when the error msg pop up isnt there. Such as writing email or surfing..?

Its easier to work on something when its in front of you not in front of somebody else. Sorry for so many dumb questions and so few things to suggest.

Last edited by rosiesdad; 19-Jun-2012 at 02:41 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 269 posts.

19-Jun-2012, 02:47 PM #14
Googled for issues removing PSP, here is a link that MAY be of help
http://corel.force.com/index/article...intshop-Pro-x4
Computer Specs
Member with 11 posts.

19-Jun-2012, 02:50 PM #15
The only dumb questions are the ones that aren't asked...
The flickering is random & incessant. Doesn't matter what is open or closed, it just flickers, slowing everything down.
Paint Shop is/was Jasc Paint Shop, I was just being brief.
Have had no problems with surfing or emailing, but the flickering overrides everything. I'll often have to retype something because the flicker interfered.
Not sure what video to which you refer. I haven't installed any drivers, unless they came in a Windows Update.
I'll run the pcsupport scan once at home, & let you know what I find out.
Thanks again...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!