Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows freezes at the log in screen

(!)

Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Jun-2012, 02:48 PM #1
Windows freezes at the log in screen
first of all a huge hello from your latest newbie to this site to all who use it and run it, now my friends computer freezes solid at the log in screen and nothing works, he uses windows xp ( I must admit ) folks I dont know anything about his pc neither does he? but his wife tells me that she thinks the hdd is full now I have been building pcs for some years for friends etc and I have never known that to happen, no matter what you do nothing works it always freezes at log in I am absolutely mystified by it all so do any of you guys or gals have any ideas, thank you in advance James
Member with 11,761 posts.

22-Jun-2012, 02:58 PM #2
Howdy,

I assume that tapping F8 on startup does not produce safemode?
Member with 5 posts.

23-Jun-2012, 03:41 AM #3
sorry I just picked up your reply no pressing f8 does not produce safe mode no buttons work at all James

23-Jun-2012, 03:47 PM #4
Well you do not say if a laptop or Desktop....but either way if there is important data on the Hard drive you can take it out and put it on another PC as secondary or in an enclosure and see if you can access it. Being full would not cause that sort of issue,
Member with 5 posts.

24-Jun-2012, 04:42 AM #5
morning Megabite the unit is a desktop its good news that I can place the hdd into my machine and try to access it I will be trying it when I go down stairs is there anything I should be aware of
Member with 5 posts.

24-Jun-2012, 06:58 PM #6
just a quick update I d/l sea-tools and ran a test on the hdd it found nothing, I then removed the hdd and put it into my pc and tried to access it no joy there either, I then took my hdd down to my friends pc and placed it in situ and exactly the same happened to my hdd it acted the same way, returning it to my pc I fired it up and no problem, so the conclusion I came to is that there is a big problem with the machine itself do you concur a reply to this latest item in my saga would be appreciated thank you for your time James

25-Jun-2012, 02:54 AM #7
I'm a bit confused...you found no error with HDD test. You put it in another PC and it didn't work and another PC and it didn't work either. then not what PC you put it in and it worked. I'm i understanding it correctly?
Member with 5 posts.

25-Jun-2012, 03:45 AM #8
I think I have made it sound odd Megabite,ok the bad hdd was tested with sea tools and nothing bad was reported,I then took the bad hdd out of my mates pc and placed it into my pc and it reacted the same way,I then removed my hdd from my pc and placed it into his pc and my hdd would not start windows either, ( 2 pc's both would not start windows with the bad hdd installed ) James
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!