Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows XP Desktop Icons and Taskbar missing

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
23-Jun-2012, 01:38 PM #1
Windows XP Desktop Icons and Taskbar missing
Hello

I am posting by using an friend's PC.

At startup, my PC sometimes doesn't display any Icons and the taskbar is absent. Also Right-Click doesn't work.
Usually by restarting my PC a few times it works!
Unfortunately, today i restarted it around 20+ times and its still the same problem

Don't worry, I have enough brain to google my situation. But unfortunately, none of the solutions worked for me...

This is what I tried, and none of them works:

1. Open up Task Manager-> Process Tab-> select ''explorer.exe''-> End Process-> File-> New Task-> explorer.exe

2.Enter Safe Mode and use the Windows System Restore to an older date.
Note: The desktop here and Taskbar works fine in Safe Mode. But since Safe Mode is limited, I doesn't help me to use it as default (duh).

3.Create a new User for the PC.
Note: Desktop icons and Taskbar doesn't show up. This doesn't work because it gets stuck at adding some preferences when starting. It just gets stuck to an non responding state. And if I end the application, explorer.exe shuts down too. Also if I open up explorer.exe, this application comes and gets stuck again.)

4.Copy and Paste explorer.exe into the WINDOWS folder, then rename it into explorer1.exe-> new task on the Task Manager-> regedit.exe-> after some paths, edit the ''Shell'' thing from ''Explorer.exe'' to ''Explorer1.exe" option.
Note: the ''explorer.exe'' process is changed to ''explorer1.exe'', but it has the same effect.

5.Copy the explorer.exe file from another PC and use it to the broken PC.

Additional Notes to my problem:

a) I cannot open any folder using commands, (My Computer, WINDOWS folder, etc.). This will just bring another ''explorer.exe'' next to the other one, then nothing happens.
b) I can open an browser, but it says that I don't have internet for some reason...
c) Control Panel doesn't open using the command (Control.exe), but its features (Add/Remove Programs, System Properties, etc.) work fine by opening using commands.
d) I repeat, this is an old problem but restarting the PC a few times fixed it.

This is an urgent problem! I need the PC fixed as soon as possible.
I would prefer to not format my PC. So, are there any other solutions beside this?

Thank you for your time reading!

OS I'm using: Windows XP Home Edition SP3

P.S. I am not an native English speaker, so please excuse my bad grammar

Last edited by Nizuto; 23-Jun-2012 at 01:44 PM..
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 31,852 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Jun-2012, 02:21 PM #2
Try Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar.

Download the .vbs file and save it to your hard drive.

Double-click the .vbs file. You will be prompted when the script is done.

Restart the computer.

Hope it helps.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
desktop, missing, windows xp

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!