Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Adobe Uninstall misgivings

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 58 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Jun-2012, 12:44 AM #1
Adobe Uninstall misgivings
Hello. I have Adobe and it really is a bloatware. I uninstalled it using Revo Uninstaller but after it 'claimed' it had completely uninstalled Adobe, I did a search and found dozens and dozens of files under Adobe and more files that were associated with Adobe. Can I and how can I safely uninstall Adobe without the fear of damaging my other files or worse damaging my computer?
I am attaching a screenshot of my searched files containing Adobe and you'll notice that it's associated itself with Nero, Canon, and a VLC Media Player, among others.
Attached Thumbnails
Adobe Uninstall misgivings-adobe.jpg  
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 57,361 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Jun-2012, 10:02 AM #2
Adobe has several programs.

You didn't advise which one you uninstalled.

-------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Member with 58 posts.

30-Jun-2012, 11:08 AM #3
Hi Flavallee, thanks for taking the time to reply.
That's the problem, it was quite a while ago and I'm not sure exactly what version I have and I personally think I may have duplicates of several versions. All I initially wanted was a PDF reader and wound up with several bloats. Perhaps this screenshot may provide you with a clue as to what I have. I found out the the Flash Player is "ActiveX Version": 11.2.202.235 and the "Plug-in version" is: 11.3.300.262. Here's where the fun begins, it seems I have "Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0" [five different locations], then I also have "Adobe\ARM\Reader_10.1.1", and "Adobe\Acrobat\9.0" [twice], "Adobe\ARM\Reader_10.1.1\20924" [twice], etc., etc.
So to eliminate all this confusion I would just prefer to totally remove any and all reference to Adobe completely and start fresh.

Thanks again for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Adobe Uninstall misgivings-adobe2.jpg  
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

30-Jun-2012, 11:30 AM #4
Provide a screenshot of the top portion of your "Add Or Remove Programs" list so we can see exactly what Adobe-related apps you have installed.

Adobe Flash Player 11 ActiveX (11.3.300.257)
Adobe Flash Player 11 Plugin (11.3.300.262)
are needed so your browsers can access and view multimedia content in webpages.

Adobe Reader X (10.1.3)
is needed so you can acess and view on-line documents and manuals in PDF format.

Acrobat.com
Adobe AIR

are NOT needed by the vast majority of users, so they can be uninstalled.

If one or more of your programs has Adobe as part of them, deleting everything Adobe-related will likely cause those programs not to work or work properly.

----------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Member with 58 posts.

30-Jun-2012, 11:52 AM #5
Hi, if what you say is true then it looks like I'm stuck with the freakin bloatware program because, as you'll see in the screen shots, there are tons of programs apparently associated with Adobe. Adobe3.jpg is what's in my control panel, Adobe4 & 5 are what shows when I ask for 'what programs are associated with Adobe'. Adobe 4 and 5 screenshots are only about 1/4 of the page of files listed.

[help]
Attached Thumbnails
Adobe Uninstall misgivings-adobe3.jpg   Adobe Uninstall misgivings-adobe4.jpg   Adobe Uninstall misgivings-adobe5.jpg  
Computer Specs

30-Jun-2012, 12:25 PM #6
Provide a screenshot of the Add Or Remove Programs list.
(Make sure that "Show Updates" is not selected, and make sure that "Sort By - Name" is selected.)

Provide a screenshot of the contents of the C:\Program Files folder.

Provide a screenshot of the contents of the C:\Program Files\Common Files folder.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Member with 58 posts.

30-Jun-2012, 12:31 PM #7
Is this it/them, or do you want all the listings under each folder within?
Attached Thumbnails
Adobe Uninstall misgivings-adobe6.jpg  
Computer Specs

30-Jun-2012, 12:58 PM #8
There should be an Adobe folder inside the Programs Files folder.

Since there isn't, Adobe Reader must no longer be installed in your computer.

---------------------------------------------------------

Acrobat.com and Adobe AIR can be uninstalled from the "Add Or Remove Programs" list, unless you're wanting to keep them for some reason.

---------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Member with 58 posts.

30-Jun-2012, 04:26 PM #9
Hi again Flavallee, just one more [maybe] question...can I then uninstall ALL the files under: Program Files/common files/Adobe..., as per the attachment?
Attached Thumbnails
Adobe Uninstall misgivings-adobe7.jpg  
Computer Specs
Member with 58 posts.

30-Jun-2012, 04:30 PM #10
Oh, and just one more thing [hope this will be accepted as a jpg, it's a biggie], this [scrolling snapshot] is everything that's associated with Adobe, which I'm sure you can appreciate, is one heck of a huge pile of files....

Wait a minute, still trying to upload the snapshot...seems it's too big, going to try something else

Nothing worked, this file is waaay too big, I counted the files associated with Adobe and there are 304 files. I'm assuming that if I delete all those files I'll reallly screw up my system, right?

Last edited by Yepytsme; 30-Jun-2012 at 04:42 PM..
Computer Specs

30-Jun-2012, 08:06 PM #11
You should not be manually deleting any folders from inside the

C:\Program Files

C:\Programs Files\Common Files

folders without really knowing what you're doing.

Uninstalling programs from the Add Or Remove Programs list and manually deleting folders are 2 entirely different things.

You don't "uninstall" folders.

If you keep going in this manner, you're going to wind up with broken programs and possibly wreak havoc with your computer.

-----------------------------------------------------------
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!